Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated to new iTunes 12.2.1.16 and my playlists are all gone. Is it possible to go back?

I keep my iTunes media files on an external drive so as to save space on my laptop. I have a lot of files. Because of my intermittent access to internet the iCloud isn't really useful to me.

When I started up the new iTunes my external drive was not mounted. Big mistake. iTunes created a new set of prefs and erased all my playlists and everything. I mounted the drive and set the iTunes media folder there as my default but iTunes still did not recognize or re-connect with my old prefs. They're probably gone. I had a decades worth of playlists there.

I put the freshest prefs in the trash and tried starting from scratch again, this time with the external drive mounted. But no dice. It's too late, isn't it?

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 7:03 AM

It sounds like you have not only media but the entire library on the external drive. Start iTunes while holding down the option/alt key and select the iTunes Library.itl file in the iTunes folder on the external.

2 replies

I updated to new iTunes 12.2.1.16 and my playlists are all gone. Is it possible to go back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.