Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple TV with no internet.

HI,

I'm going away in a caravan for a few days and would like to take my Apple TV to stream movies to a TV. I have gotten it to work with mirroring over Bluetooth without using an router, but I can't stream the movies I have brought on the iTunes store without an Internet connection. Is there any way around this? Lots of topics are saying yes the Apple TV will work without Internet, but they neglect to mention that only 5-10% of it works, leading me to believe that I may be missing something. The iPad does not have cellular, so I can't use that to authorise the movie.

Thanks.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 7:24 AM

Sorry, if you wan to play content from the iTunes Store you will need an internet connection so iTunes can phone home and verify the content.

12 replies

Aug 27, 2015 7:53 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Why is this? I would imagine it's an attempt to prevent pirated content, but surely this would achieve the exact opposite effect by forcing people to use pirated movies as their legitimately obtained movies won't work? Can't iTunes just stick a digital mark of authenticity on any files downloaded on it? Not allowing iTunes Store content to be used without Internet renders the Apple TV virtually useless. If I can watch movies on my iPad without Internet then why not on the TV?

Aug 27, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Nazgren

I'm not Apple, I guess you'd need to ask them, but I have a couple of thoughts about the points you raise...

It may be more about unauthorised users being able to play iTunes content than stopping pirated software, i.e. something they have to do to fulfil their licensing obligations in order to get the content in the first place.

The iPad can play the movie itself, therefore Apple have control of it. The movie is sent to the Apple TV from the computer, they possibly need to know that whatever is receiving the data is a playback device only and can't record the stream.

Aug 27, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Winston Churchill

True I suppose, but then I would have thought the data transfer would be encrypted, and afaik the Apple TV has never been jailbroken. Even so, would be much easier just to play said content on the computer and use some form of screen capture software. As for unauthorised users there would be nothing stopping someone from just lending the iPad and Apple TV, cable, etc to a friend. Seems like a bad solution to a virtually non-existent problem, especially when there are easier ways to make pirated copy's then hijacking the connection between iDevice and Apple TV. Would rather not use the Lightning-HDMI connecter due to its issues but I suppose there's not a lot of choice without a cellular iPad or on-site WiFi, which there isn't where I'm going. Thank you anyway for the help.

Aug 27, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Nazgren

If the content has been completely downloaded to the iPad, you should be able to Air Play it to the Apple Tv even if no internet connection is available.

The only caveat here, may be rented movies which need to be verified before you can start playing them, and the rental playback timer begins.

Other than that, playing content from an iPad to an Apple Tv without internet is perfectly possible. You do need a Wifi network though if your Apple Tv is not a Third Gen Apple Tv Rev A.

Otherwise you can also use peer to peer for playback.

Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Aug 27, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Phil0124

The content is completely downloaded and I'm pretty sure I am using the latest version of Apple TV, I bought it at some point this year iirc, but my iPad says that I need an Internet connection to play this content. I tried it with all my store bought content and had the same message for each. I tried a home video and it worked without Internet, but that's no good to me, I need the store bought content as that is where my movies are.

Aug 27, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Nazgren

If the iPad can't play them on its own without internet. Then this is not an issue with the Apple Tv.

That is, if the Mirroring option is working between the iPad and the Apple Tv without internet or even Wifi, and I can confirm that it does, then the playback issue resides entirely on the iPad.

If these are rentals, they need to be verified before they can be played.

If these are movies you bought, do they have a cloud icon on the corner of the image for them? If so, then that means the are not downloaded.

You'll need to work out the playback issue on the iPad first.

Once you can get them playing back on the iPad without an internet connection, then you can stream them to an Apple Tv.

i.e the Apple Tv really has no bearing on the playback issues at this point.

Aug 27, 2015 10:20 PM in response to Phil0124

So you can watch a movie that you have brought on the store and use mirroring to play it on the Apple TV without Internet? Because that would seem to make you the only person who can.

They aren't rentals, I've had them for a while now.

No, they have the arrow with a box.

No playback issues on the iPad. Trying to play them via mirroring without an Internet connection is the first time I have ever been prevented from watching them.

They have been able to play on the iPad without Internet for months.

As both Winston and Alley Cat have said, without Internet, you can't play store bought content on the Apple TV.

WInston:

Not sure what you mean. On the Apple TV or the iPad or both? it was originally set up to run using my home connection, I then used forget this network on both the iPad and the Apple TV, turned bluetooth on on the iPad and the option for mirroring came up again. When I turned that on and tried to play the movie I got the dialogue box saying that Internet is required.

Using Apple TV with no internet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.