Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrate boot camp from a sick Mac book pro to a new Mac mini help please

OK the old MBP has a 500 GB his545 that is running well with 82 gig given to BOOTCAMP.

The new Mac mini has a 1 TB flash that I want to set up with a 300 GB BOOTCAMP

both are running 10.10.5 and the BOOTCAMP partition on the old MBP is using 70 gig of its 80 gig allowed

IS the best way to be sure the bootcamp partition makes the journey from the old MBP to this new Mac mini to use:

1. Migration ast. Tool that shows up on first boot of the new Mac mini? ( is it better to use FireWire 800 to thunderbolt or Ethernet cable)

2. Up to date time machine backup (I have never had to do a restore from TM that included a BOOTCAMP partitions)

3. Carbon copy backup of Macintosh HD and drag contents of BOOTCAMP to a NTFS 128 GB corsair thumb drive or from inside win10 use winclone to make a copy of the BOOTCAMP (C) drive

4. Setup the old MBP with target disk and drag contents into their new home on the set up partitions.

thanks for any and all help

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 3ghz i7 1 Tera SSD

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 10:29 AM

I am not a Bootcamp expert but from recent reading of this for migrating a Windows copy I have from one drive to another I think the only way to do it is to use a Windows based cloning tool. Either that or reinstall Windows afresh on the new partition and move across data files.

2 replies

Aug 27, 2015 11:43 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks choice 2 is it as the need run Winprep on the BOOTCAMP from inside windows on the old computer to get it ready for the different drivers that the new mini needs but that step also strips out the registration codes and I can't find my win 7pro sp1 64 install DVDs with the key code I have no idea where I put it for safekeeping all those years ago probably between two books or tucked inside a book whose title I thought would be a clever reminder..... But since I have about 100 feet of hard cover book and almost as many feet of paperback books unless that title flashes into my brain the chance of me finding them is small but I have just called a friend who has put windows behind him (for a new 5K 27" iMac ) and is selling off the stuff he bought to build a new PC and he has an unused win 8.1 pro 64 new computer OEM DVDs set and he traded about 15 gal of my homemade best bitter ale for it so I will just do a clean install of it once the never ending transfer via migration is done about 1/3 of 400 GB don and I added an Ethernet cable to the FireWire 800 on the MBP and the thunderbolt connector on the new mini when the program told me to

tthe time remaining keeps changing from less than 75min remaining up to over 8 hours remaining sweeps back and forth between those extremes every 15 min or so at least the progress bar is moving

Migrate boot camp from a sick Mac book pro to a new Mac mini help please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.