Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt conflict with Wifi

I seem to have detected a Thunderbolt conflict with Wifi.

I recently purchased a MacBookPro 13" Retina currently running Yosemite 10.10.5

I use an external 4K monitor connected via a DP1.2 cable to the Thunderbolt port.

Interestingly, when I connect to the port next to the charger port, WiFi connections get dropped.

When I connect to the other port, there is no issue with WiFi

This is not really a major issue but has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution/fix for this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 8:45 AM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2015 8:53 AM in response to injy

You need to get off the low-end Router frequency of 2.4GHz which is shared with:

USB-3

Bluetooth

certain landline "portable" phones

garage door controls

Baby monitors

microwave ovens

ALL of your neighbors who do not already know better

.. and get a modern dual-band Router that also features the 5 GHz band, which offers higher speeds and many more than the up to three clear channels in the 2.4GHz (Channels 1 to 14) will ever offer.

If you get an 802.11ac Router, it features the newest faster speeds which you MacBook can run.

Aug 27, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Apologies. But I don't buy this at all.

I use an ancient Apple Extreme 802.11n router and simply have not had any issues whatsoever with any device running a variety of OSes and several MacBooks connected to it.

P.S. I have several WiFi routers in the house and numerous pieces of computing machinery connected, both wired and wireless.

Every single thing works perfectly and always has.

The issue is with Thunderbolt. And people have complained about it since the very first version.

This issue presents itself only with ThunderBolt and strangely, only with one of the two Thunderbolt ports.

Aug 27, 2015 9:23 AM in response to injy

If you hold down Option while you click the Wi-Fi Icon in the menuBar, it will show you a multitude of stuff about your current Wi-Fi connection. Channels 1 thru 14 are in the 2.4GHz band.

User uploaded file

Using 802.11n in the 2.4GHz band uses up almost everything available there -- those are 11 MHz Channels, so many must be combined to produce one 802.11n channel.

Aug 28, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you Grant.

I agree with the value of upgrading the router (and have just ordered a new 802.11ac router).

I'm still not sure why the WiFi channels will be impacted by the Thunderbolt port and only one, not the other.

Unfortunately, I also use a Logitech wireless kbd/mouse (windows) with a single USB dongle as I spend a significant amount of time working on a Windows virtual desktop via Citrix. The Windows kbd helps a lot, but ,I think this is also causing some interference as I discovered today when I plugged in a pair of headphones which promptly cut the kbd off (but not the mouse).

I could waste more time troubleshooting all of this or just get an Apple wireless kbd and the magic trackpad.

thunderbolt conflict with Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.