Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will iMovie let me add an audio track longer than 30 minutes?

I'm trying to create a movie in iMovie '09 by importing one jpeg as the video clip and then attaching an audio track of 41:47 (47.9 MB) to play behind it. Using the "gear" icon on the video clip I'm selecting "clip adjustment" and entering 41:47 but it always reverts to 30:00. Is there a limit on the size/length of an audio track I can add? I have 130 GB of free space on my hard drive so I don't think that's an issue.Thanks!

Mac mini (Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 11:29 AM

I wonder if it is a limitation on the length of a single still image?

Duplicate your still image to appear 2 or three times in the timeline, select all of them & try to re-apply the background sound.

If it fails you may need to consider splitting your audio file into 2 chunks.

7 replies

Aug 27, 2015 12:23 PM in response to doctorkdog

It's not entirely clear why you need to select all, normally you squish media in before or after a clip to add extra time to a timeline. Moving via drag in iMove can be an adventure in itself 🙂

Try selection the audio track & then hit cmd+A to select all. You may need to try other keyboard combinations to modify the selection, like cmd+click, shift+click, cmd+alt+click.

They can modify how selections are managed, adding or removing from the selection.

Try the advanced tools if they are disabled in iMovies preferences, they may not help but it is worth a try 🙂

P.S. The help menu has a few tips on working in iMovie, search in there & check the topics.

Aug 27, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Drew Reece

Sorry, I've made a few movies but not real experienced. Now I have a 60-minute movie made up of 2 30-minute clips, each just showing the same image, with the 41:47 audio track spread across them. All I want to do now is delete the remaining 18:13 of video with no sound so I'm selecting that portion and clicking "delete selection" but it doesn't go away.

will iMovie let me add an audio track longer than 30 minutes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.