Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for an alternative to Pages - it is not efficient

Hi, I'm looking to former power uses of pages for help. I upgraded to the new operating system and repurchased all the apps in Dec 2014 and have been working in vain with pages for 8 months. As a former power user of the old version, it simply is no longer an option. Its costing time, money, frustration for so many of the essential editing and layout features are gone or more complicated. I've read lots of blogs and know I'm now alone. I also see no evidence Apple is looking to restore a version of pages for its most loyal power uses - so for the first time in my MAC life - I need to go elsewhere. Does anyone have a recommendation on an app that provides similar functionality as the old Pages and works on a Mac? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 9:05 AM

Just keep using Pages '09 until something better comes along.

Affinity Publisher should be available early next year.

Peter

4 replies

Aug 27, 2015 9:13 AM in response to Sproute

I don't know whether it would suit you, but for word porocessing (including the insertion of inline and floating images) I moved to Nisus Writer Pro. On the whole I find it very good, though there are inevitably a few irritations (such as not being able to lock objects to prevent accidental moving or deletion). There is a fully functional free 15 day trial.

I also use Swift Publisher 3 (version 4 is now out) which is a layout program rather than a word processor and is similar to Pages in many ways. It comes optionally with a lot of clip art, and has a number of templates. Again, there is a free trial.

Aug 27, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger - I appreciate the quick recommendation and the UX info. Time to do some experimenting. So sad that it has come to this. I loved the old Pages, as did all the people who co-write documents using it. Apple is losing a lot of faithful customers with these decisions. Being a former PC gal user, I've found myself returning more and more to their software and the one PC computer in the office - which is frustrating as Word never did compete with Pages.

Looking for an alternative to Pages - it is not efficient

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.