Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major MainStage MIDI routing problems

I just bought MainStage this morning and am brand new to it (so go easy on me).

I'm designing a patch which has two different Channel Strips in it, and I'd like them both to receive separate MIDI input, via the IAC bus. But it appears MainStage's MIDI input functionality is pretty broken, unless I'm missing something.

First, this is how I have my Audio MIDI Setup configured.

User uploaded file

As you can see, I have two ports set up in my IAC Bus (Alchemy1 and Alchemy2). This seems to work properly, and if I go to any DAW, I can send MIDI output to both Alchemy1 and Alchemy2. Good so far.

In MainStage, in the Instrument Channel Strip Inspector, only one of those IAC busses shows up. (And yes, I have made sure to click Apply in Audio MIDI Setup, and have even quit and relaunched MainStage several times):

User uploaded file

So I figured, never mind, I'll just use the first (Alchemy1) IAC Bus and utilize separate MIDI channels within Alchemy1. So I configured it like this:

User uploaded file

...which, if I'm understanding it right, should make this particular channel strip respond to Alchemy1 MIDI channel 2. Am I right?

Well, it doesn't. It keeps responding to Alchemy1 MIDI channel 1.

Am I doing something wrong? Anything else to try, or are these legitimate bugs?

As it stands, I can't seem to create multiple channel strips and then designate separate MIDI inputs for each of them -- in any way, shape, or form.

Any help is gratefully appreciated!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 10:42 AM

Please disregard this question. I've since solved it -- it was a misunderstanding in how MainStage is designed.

(For anyone who finds this thread after me, I had to go to the Layout page and create more keyboards, then assign those keyboards to specific MIDI ports and channels, and THEN when I go back to the Edit page, I can now assign Channel Strips to the specific MIDI ports/channels which the keyboards have first been created for. This also involved a complete computer restart in order for MainStage to see this properly, but it does now work.)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 10:42 AM in response to David Das

Please disregard this question. I've since solved it -- it was a misunderstanding in how MainStage is designed.

(For anyone who finds this thread after me, I had to go to the Layout page and create more keyboards, then assign those keyboards to specific MIDI ports and channels, and THEN when I go back to the Edit page, I can now assign Channel Strips to the specific MIDI ports/channels which the keyboards have first been created for. This also involved a complete computer restart in order for MainStage to see this properly, but it does now work.)

Aug 29, 2015 1:44 PM in response to David Das

For future reference, you can actually use MIDI Activity lights in the Layout view for the same purpose, instead of using keyboards.

You can make them super tiny, and channelize and label them accordingly. I have an Axiom Pro, and split the keys, encoders, faders and Drum pads all into their own separate MIDI input devices on different channels, and it doesn't take up any practical room on my display.

Aug 29, 2015 9:19 PM in response to Authentic Identity

Good to know. Thanks for the input, AI.

So I understand the philosophy correctly, it looks like on the first page (Layout) you have to create either keyboards or MIDI Activity lights and assign them to specific incoming channels (if you are using multiple incoming channels), then only after you've done that, do those specific incoming channels become available on the second page (Edit) to Channel Strips.

Is that right?

I assume for people who use MainStage in a simpler capacity where there's just one MIDI controller, this isn't an issue. It only appears to be an issue with people who have multiple MIDI sources.

Aug 30, 2015 12:06 AM in response to David Das

Thats almost correct. From the way you are talking, it sounds like you have a good understanding of MIDI...in which case there is an additional method that's quite powerful.

WIth Mainstage in Edit mode, click on the "Assignments and Mappings" tab at the top center of the screen. This screen lets you pair any MIDI message from any port and any channel, to any hardware and software function that you would like. At the top right of the pane click create new assignment. It then creates a blank entry where you can specify what message to listen for, and then assign to a Mainstage function.

JUst remember that its a context sensitive window: it creates Mappings in concerts, sets, and patches depending on what you have selected in the patch list.

By using this method you don't have to create an onscreen object. But you will need to individually map every function that you want to have.

Major MainStage MIDI routing problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.