Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MainStage issues with Midi Keyboard

I'm new to MainStage and Mac environment. Just have installed MainStage 3.2(no other applications at all, new Macbook pro 15.6, 16 GB Ram, 2.2, 8 cores, so it couldn't be performance issue). After playing several minutes piano patches, or electric piano patches start hearing craclking and ticking sounds. What could be the issue? I'm sure that problem is somewhere in MainStage as have tried two totally different midi keyboards (Roland and Casio), but having the same issue. Sound card - internal, no any interfaces. Just put midi to usb. Buffer Volume 128, Driver Latency - to the Right - More Safety. Tried to play without pedal - the same thing.

With garage band no issues, as any other audio applications, sound card works perfectly.

MainStage, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Midi

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 11:23 AM

9 replies

Aug 29, 2015 1:31 PM in response to Leonid123

So far, Mainstage 3.2 is turning out to be fairly glitchy, so it very well could be a Mainstage issue.

But, just to make sure:

What sample rate is your concert set to?

Your computer is plenty fast enough...but since you are using the internal sound card, perhaps try keeping the sample rate at 44.1K or 48K if it's not already.

A few troubleshooting questions.
1) When you raise the sample rate to say, 256 or 512, does the problem go away?
2) Under Advanced Audio settings, is CPU usage set to use all cores?
3) Is I/O safety buffer checked or unchecked? (Try the opposite and see if it fixes the problem)
4) Try changing the sample rate up to 48K, or down to 44.1K respectively, and then back again.
5) Are your MIDI inputs set up correctly in Audio MIDI Setup utility?
6) Try changing the slider to "Less latency" and see if the problem goes away.
7) Last resort, backup all files, and uninstall mainstage and then reinstall it.

Aug 30, 2015 1:36 AM in response to Leonid123

Yeah, sorry...that's a frustrating issue. If you aren't having problems in other apps, then that definitely points to Mainstage being at issue. Typically popping and crackling indicates that your buffer setting is too low...but your computer has good specs, so I doubt you are maxing it out.

You could also try maxing out the buffer setting to 1024, just to see if that makes it stop...but it's much more likely that Mainstage is just being glitchy.

I'm having a helluva time since upgrading from 3.1.1.

MainStage issues with Midi Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.