Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod will no longer sync after I upgraded.

My iPod will no longer sync after I upgraded to Snow Leopard yesterday - August 26, 2015. I own a MacBook 5,2 and it is running 10.6.3. The iPod still charges fine, but the icon does not appear in either iTunes or Finder. I tried updating to iTunes 12.2.2, but the upgrade failed - after following the directions and restarting my computer, I still have iTunes 10.6.3. I have connected and disconnected the iPod. I have started and stopped iTunes. I looked for a button to push to tell my iPod to "trust" this computer, but there is nothing like that showing up. I was told to push the menu button and home button simultaneously while loading iTunes, but I only have one button to push. I tried pushing that home button while starting up iTunes, but nothing happened. I tried pushing the home button and the little power button at the top while starting iTunes, but that did nothing. It didn't even power down the device. I have now followed all of the instructions I found on online Apple Support, and have no idea what to do next.

This is an iPod touch, generation 2, purchased in July of 2009. Please tell me what I need to do so that my computer will recognize and sync with my iPod. It may be old, but I use it daily in my education. Thank you.

iPod touch (2nd generation)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 11:48 AM

15 replies

Aug 27, 2015 12:57 PM in response to tpcase

Have you tried

iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Mac OS X

The iOS on the your old 2G iPod does not have/use Trust this computer

OSX 10.6.8 does not support higher than iTunes 10.6.3

You Mac can be u[graded to Yosemite

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Note that some apps may not run with greater than 10.6.8

Upgrading to 10.7 and above, don't forget Rosetta!

Aug 28, 2015 5:40 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you for your response. I have been to that page many times attempting to resolve this problem.

Yesterday I accidentally took a screen shot, and when I connected my iPod to my Macbook, it immediately opened up iPhoto and imported the screenshot. Now I totally know that it is connecting appropriately and communicating with the computer, just not with iTunes. Then I tried recording a voice memo to see if it would hook up with iTunes if it had something to share itself. That did not work.

Reading many of the other questions, it sounds as if this is a fairly common problem, even continuing through Yosemite. Is it reasonable to expect that another upgrade will solve this problem? I am afraid of upgrading to the point that my old computer can't handle the new software, and I'm not exactly an early adopter of technology.

Aug 28, 2015 5:55 AM in response to tpcase

So, I took a deep breath and decided to trust the community and upgrade to Yosemite. Unfortunately, my computer says it does not understand the web address of the Yosemite page on the Apple Store. Here is the message I get:

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (macappstores) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address.

I can't get there on either Safari or Chrome, either, although Chrome did send me to a discussion page where I learned I might need to purchase more RAM. Am I on the right track, here? Thank you again.

Aug 28, 2015 3:45 PM in response to lllaass

That link works fine. But, part way down the page, under step 3, is a link to the OS X Yosemite page. When I click on that link the page begins to load under an address that starts with iTunes.apple.com, but almost immediately switches to one that starts with macappstores://iTunes.apple.com. My computer refuses to recognize that web address.

The DVD I *just* bought upgraded my Mac to 10.6.3. Yesterday I checked for updates, and installed everything it told me to. My computer does not restart well - it gets stuck and has to be force to shut down and then manually started back up again. Would this mess with the installations?

I just now checked for updates again, and it says there are more for me. I will install those now.

Thank you for your continued attempts to help.

Aug 30, 2015 6:29 AM in response to lllaass

Yesterday I spent all day working so that if my computer malfunctioned it wouldn't ruin my school day tomorrow. I teach as well as learn. This morning I booted it up from the DVD and with great hopes plugged my iPod in. Immediately, iPhoto opened, but still neither iTunes nor Finder will recognize that there is a device plugged in. I looked for a Mac App Store link on the computer, but cannot find one. I do not see one in iTunes, and I also searched for one under the little magnifying class in the upper right corner of the screen, next to the date. I went to iTunes Store and searched for a Mac App Store and a macappstore, but neither search turned up anything useful. I opened up the hard drive icon and searched through the applications file for anything, but didn't find anything either called "mac app store" or with the fancy "A" icon. The iTunes window looks exactly as it did before any of these upgrades.

I did open up Safari and see that it is calling itself version 4.0.4 with a copyright of 2009, so maybe this install didn't really work, either?

I just checked for software updates under the apple in the top left corner of the screen, and am now about to install those.

Thank you for your continued help in this matter.

Aug 30, 2015 7:45 AM in response to lllaass

Version 10.6.3

Processor: 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I followed directions I found online to boot Snow Leopard from a disc, where I put the disc in, shut the computer down, and then held down the "c" key while starting it up. Then I just followed instructions to install from there. Is that what you meant me to do? I'm wondering if I should do what it says on this page: http://macs.about.com/od/snowleopardmacosx106/qt/cleaninstall_sl.htm

Thank you.

Aug 30, 2015 7:57 AM in response to lllaass

I just did that this morning after booting up from the disc. I booted up from the disc and then I clicked check for updates. Then I told it to install all the updates it found. After re-installing Snow Leopard and updating to everything it told me to update, I am still running 10.6.3. I am perfectly willing to upgrade to 10.6.8, but clicking the apple icon and having it update doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Is there a different way I should be doing it?

Thanks again.

Aug 30, 2015 8:00 AM in response to tpcase

I forgot to mention - I also restarted the computer as instructed. I can still find nothing that says "Mac App Store" on it. Not in the search engine, not on iTunes, not under the apple icon in the top left. My son tells me it should be third down on that menu, but my third down option is "Mac OS X Software". When I click that it does take me to a page which tells me the wonders of the Mac App Store, and offers a button to upgrade. Should I try that, since nothing else seems to be working?

Aug 30, 2015 2:42 PM in response to tpcase

HALLELUJAH!! I performed a clean install of Snow Leopard, erasing the old information and starting from the beginning on a clean slate. As soon as I did that, when I plugged in my iPod it synced just as if there had never been a problem. It now shows up just as normal on iTunes.

I did the clean install because there were now enough dirty installs that I was concerned that adding the 10.6.8 update would complicate matters deep in the hard drive somewhere. The plan is to update as before, but I wanted you to know that the problem now appears to be resolved. Yay! And, thank you so very much.

My iPod will no longer sync after I upgraded.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.