Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted iMovie by mistake, need old version installed

I run a MacBook OS X 10.7.5. I was having mega problems with iMovie crashing all the time, so in desperation I deleted the iMovie App with a view to instantly reinstalling it. HOWEVER, I can't install it as I need an older version of iMovie (version 8 or 9 I think) and the newer version (10) won't install as it is incompatible with the OS. Can anyone suggest anything to me as to how I can get iMovie back again, please? I don't have disks as the laptop was secondhand and already had iMovie installed. Many thanks!

iMovie 10, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Need iMovie 8

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:34 PM

10 replies

Aug 27, 2015 12:40 PM in response to lasraz

Call Apple Customer Support 1-800-767-2775 (telephone numbers for other countries - http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57). Provide the serial number and specifications of the Mac. They may be able to provide a replacement set of discs for a fee. These discs will be for whatever OS was installed on the computer originally, so if you have an upgraded version you may be stuck with whatever is available. Check your Mac Apps app for past purchase history.

Aug 27, 2015 2:07 PM in response to Lexiepex

So very true! I just wish I understood computers more - when I was at school they were the size of a large room and we used old fashioned things called books!!

I think the crashing of the app is probably owing to too little RAM (or so my son says, anyway!) but the MacBook already has its full capacity of gizmos in it. I think, with 4 teenagers, my need for a new laptop is way down Santa's Christmas list though! I shall continue to backup to an external drive and hope for the best! Thanks again! Lucy

Aug 28, 2015 2:55 AM in response to Lexiepex

My MacBook is mid 2009 (I think) so isn't 4Gb about the maximum RAM it can handle? If I could add another 4GB (i.e. 2x2GB) then I would for sure, but I am not sure this old machine (rudely referred to as "vintage" by an Apple Solutions guy!) can handle it! Do you have any idea on what the consequences would be if I was to try it…? BTW, by chance I found that the solution to the app iMovie constantly crashing was a simple one - as soon as the laptop gets hot, stop working on the project and switch it off! It was a simple over-heating issue. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!

Deleted iMovie by mistake, need old version installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.