Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move music from iPhone to Macbook Pro

I recently had to format my hard drive of my MBP and didn't have the chance to backup any of my music, photos, files, etc. I'm currently afraid to sync my iPhone 5s to the MBP as I fear losing all of the content stored on it. I just subscribed to iTunes Match in hopes I could get my music to my iCloud, only to find it has to be on my computer first before doing so. Is there any way to extract the music and photos stored on my phone and move it to my MBP? Also, would plugging my phone into my MBP result in the loss of data currently stored on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:10 PM

1 reply

Aug 27, 2015 12:21 PM in response to Challums88

Your i-device was not designed for unique storage of your media. It is not a backup device and media transfer was planned with you maintaining a master copy of your media on a computer which is itself independently backed up against loss. To use a device with a different setup you transfer the old library from a computer or a backup directly to the new setup, not the device to the library. Media syncing is one way, computer to device, updating the device content to the content on the computer, not updating or restoring content on a computer. The exception is iTunes Store purchases which can be transferred to a computer.

iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iOS device or iPod to a computer - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848 - only purchases from iTunes Store

For transferring other items from an i-device to a computer you will have to use third party commercial software. See this document by turingtest2: Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3991 Even this method may not fully recover what you had in the library originally. For example, if you had converted music files to a lower bitrate, or photos to a lower resolution, in order to save space it is those lower quality files you will recover.

Attaching the phone to the computer now will cause iTunes to ask you if you wish to sync with the new and presumably empty library, first erasing the phone. You can first transfer purchases as indicated above, but not other items unless you buy the special software and transfer all that first. In either scenario you will have to erase the phone and re-sync content.

Move music from iPhone to Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.