Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If it works on MacBook Pro will it work on a iPad Air 2?

I've been a Mac laptop and desktop user for many years and this is my first venture into "All That's iPad" and sometimes the more I read the more I'm confused. Here's what I'd like your help with.

• I'm an author and use Word and Adobe for eBooks etc. I know I can get a keyboard for the iPad but can I get Word and Adobe Reader etc for it?
  • Are there significant drawbacks using an iPad for the above purpose?
  • What question am I not smart enough to ask. I'd love to have the iPad as my main writing tool, is that a mistake. What about FileMaker, will it work on the iPad?

I know there are so many things I need to know that I don't know how to ask about. Any help you can give me would be so much appreciated.

HJ

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), GarageBand (Mac) 10.0.2

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 11:35 AM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2015 11:47 AM in response to HarryGlos

I've never used Word on an iPad and the reviews I'v seen of it are generally not flattering. Apple's own Pages word processor app, which is free with an iPad purchase, is not bad at all, especially with an external BT keyboard. I do not believe that Adobe makes acrobat for iOS, but there are numerous other PDF editors/creators available (PDF Expert, GoodReader, iAnnotate PDF, etc). Adobe reader is available in the App Store.

As long as your writing does not require complex or extensive formatting (or that can at least be left to later), and you are not used to writing with multiple documents and programs open simultaneously it may be fine. I write a lot of scientific papers for publication, so I routinely have Word, EndNote, some Excel files and graphics programs all open and would find writing (my kind of writing) horrible and painful on a tablet, any tablet. A tablet (again, any tablet) is not the same as a traditional laptop or desktop, multi-tasking computer. As long as the limitations are accecptable to you, fine.

it may also be one of those things that you will never know how well, or not, it works for you until you live with it for awhile and really give it an honest try.

Aug 27, 2015 4:24 PM in response to HarryGlos

Adobe does, in fact, make Acrobat Reader for iOS. It's certainly not my favorite PDF reader but it's available. I prefer PDF Expert. Note that what Adobe makes for iOS is the Reader version of Acrobat, not the full version that allows you to create PDFs.

Although Word exists for iPad, it is not the only option. Depending on your writing style and habits, there are a wide range of apps that you might like, including some that just give you a blank white space to type on with no distractions.

An iPad would be a perfectly fine device for writing on, especially with a BT keyboard. It has a couple of advantages over a computer in that it is generally lighter and has much longer battery life. When I travel, I no longer take my MacBook Air with me. I just take my iPad. It's my eBook reader (without the keyboard) as well.

If it works on MacBook Pro will it work on a iPad Air 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.