Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I copy the itunes folder or the itunes media folder to transfer to a new computer

Trying to figure out what to copy to usb? Just the iTunes music folder, or the iTunes media folder? Thanks.

null-OTHER, Windows 7, Moving to a windows 10 pc

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:50 PM

8 replies

Aug 27, 2015 12:55 PM in response to tsth

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the select prompt choose the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied iTunes folder.

When this is to a new computer put the copied iTunes folder in the default location then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.) Also remember to authorize the computer in iTunes to your Apple ID if you use this to sync to Apple mobile devices.

Aug 27, 2015 1:02 PM in response to Limnos

I don't know if I use default preferences or not. Not real savvy on this stuff. I just know I need to copy one of those files and I don't know which one? The rest of your reply is too technical for me. I'm just trying to figure out what to put on the usb? I need simpleman's terms. lol. Thanks.

Aug 27, 2015 2:20 PM in response to Niel

Thanks Niel....after looking at the preferences, the file in there shows "Media", so I guess that's the one to copy? What I'm asking is due to the fact that there's an ITunes Folder and there's an ITunes Media Folder in my computer, I wasn't sure which one is the correct one to copy.

Aug 27, 2015 2:32 PM in response to tsth

The iTunes Media folder should be inside the iTunes folder (by default, this is in C:\Users\username\Music), with a structure like this:

User uploaded file

As Neil says, you need to copy the complete iTunes folder with all its content including subfolders. If you only copy the iTunes Media folder you will have to rebuild your library; by copying the whole iTunes folder you are including the iTunes database (the iTunes Library.itl file) which is where the descriptions and locations of everything in your library, your playlists, ratings, play counts, etc. are stored.

Aug 27, 2015 2:42 PM in response to hhgttg27

I have a feeling something is not right.........I have a bunch of different iTunes files that are only showing up when I do a search in my OS, They don't show up under the user folder...only in the search. I have a feeling things are messed up and won't copy right. But right now it's copying the ITunes folder and it's very big, can't fit it and the media folder on the same usb....so I'll copy both of the files one on one drive and one on the other and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for your help everybody.

Aug 29, 2015 8:05 AM in response to tsth

There are two sets of iTunes folders:

• the iTunes application itself - in either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (86), depending on the edition of Windows you are using.
  • the iTunes library, by default in C:\Users\username\Music

The latter is what you need to transfer to a new computer - and yes, this can be large since it contains all your media files. Only the smallest of iTunes libraries will completely fit on a typical USB thumb drive - if you're very careful about retaining the file/folder structure you can transfer the library in pieces, but you'd be better to get a USB hard drive that's big enough to hold your complete library. Once you've successfully completely the transfer you can use this to create and maintain a backupof your library,

Do I copy the itunes folder or the itunes media folder to transfer to a new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.