Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have mac pro 64 ram amd 700 when i used illustrator really its so slow very bad i was used windows and used graphic card nivdia 500m it faster than mac pro how can i solve this probleom

i have mac pro 64 ram amd 700 when i used illustrator really its so slow very bad i was used windows and used graphic card nivdia 500m it faster than mac pro how can i solve this probleom i am newer user for mac

mac pro-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 11:51 AM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2015 2:10 AM in response to light.of.art

Adobe optimise their software for Nvidia graphics cards and drivers and the new Mac Pro can only be bought with AMD cards. Ironic as it may sound it can be better to buy an old 'classic' Mac Pro which allowed fitting standard Nvidia PCIe graphics cards.

On top of that while Apple are responsible for providing video drivers for the AMD cards used in Macs, Nvidia provide their own drivers for their cards when used in other Mac models - like the older Mac Pros. Sadly Apple have a poor reputation for the efficiency of their drivers meaning that even comparing AMD to AMD (Mac to Windows) they can be worse.

There might be hope on the horizon, as Illaass mentioned Apple and AMD use a software system called Open GL (and Open CL) whereas Nvidia use a standard called CUDA. Adobe software is written currently to take advantage of CUDA but not Open GL/CL. However Apple have recently introduced a new standard of their own called Metal. There is the possibility that Adobe may switch to using Metal in the future and if so Adobe products would then get a huge boost when using AMD cards in Macs and still perform well with Nvidia cards. (Metal supports AMD, Nvidia and Intel cards.)

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp1aPgLx4RQ for a presentation by David McGavran of Adobe.

i have mac pro 64 ram amd 700 when i used illustrator really its so slow very bad i was used windows and used graphic card nivdia 500m it faster than mac pro how can i solve this probleom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.