Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Would like to keep my unlimited AT &T data plan when I buy a new iPhone

Hi,

I received a gift card to the Apple store today for a new iPhone and plan on buying the phone in the Fall after the new ones come out. I'd like to keep my unlimited AT&T data plan as I've been grandfathered in. A representative from Apple said I can't order the phone online from Apple and keep the plan (I'd have to switch to "Next"), but they said I *may* be able to keep the plan if I buy the phone in the Apple store. Does anyone have any insight on this? I really can't lose a $300 gift card if I can't keep my plan.

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:35 PM

AT&T recently made changes that you will no longer be able to buy a phone on contract through Apple and Best Buy.

http://time.com/money/3907384/att-contracts-subsidized-phones/

Your only option online or through the Apple Store is going to be switching over to AT&T Next. What I would do is go into an AT&T store (not an authorized reseller) and sit down and talk with a manager if possible to see if they can somehow keep you on the grandfathered unlimited data plan. Based on my current knowledge, the only way to get an iPhone on contract anymore will be direct through AT&T stores and through AT&T online. If AT&T says that you cannot buy the iPhone through Apple and keep the unlimited data plan, try to sell the Apple gift card. Offer to sell it for like $290 and meet at the Apple store so they can verify the balance before handing you the cash.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Cindy Rosenblum

AT&T recently made changes that you will no longer be able to buy a phone on contract through Apple and Best Buy.

http://time.com/money/3907384/att-contracts-subsidized-phones/

Your only option online or through the Apple Store is going to be switching over to AT&T Next. What I would do is go into an AT&T store (not an authorized reseller) and sit down and talk with a manager if possible to see if they can somehow keep you on the grandfathered unlimited data plan. Based on my current knowledge, the only way to get an iPhone on contract anymore will be direct through AT&T stores and through AT&T online. If AT&T says that you cannot buy the iPhone through Apple and keep the unlimited data plan, try to sell the Apple gift card. Offer to sell it for like $290 and meet at the Apple store so they can verify the balance before handing you the cash.

Would like to keep my unlimited AT &T data plan when I buy a new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.