Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari takes hours to load

I have the latest software. My computer is 2011, macbook pro 15". I have been issues with my safari loading a simple homepage and a tv show website. Sometimes a message pops on my screen telling me that I have virus and I need to contact a specific number. I can't figure out if it's a scam or I truly have a virus. I thought this might be the cause of my safari acting weird. This morning I downloaded the latest software, it took about 30min for my computer to show the desktop, and another 9hrs (full work day) for safari to load. Is there something I can do fix the issue or do I need to bring it to get serviced?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 3:59 PM

2 replies

Aug 27, 2015 5:43 PM in response to jennysands

Scamware?

1. Quit Safari. If you cannot, Force Quit Safari.

Force Quit .

Press command + option + esc keys together at the same time. Wait.

When Force Quit window appears, select Safari if not already.

Press Force Quit button at the bottom of the window. Wait.

Safari will quit.

2. Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

3. Turn off wifi and turn it back on.

Turn off Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi off”.

Visit another website.

You won’t have internet connection.

Turn on Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi on”.

Select your Network.

4. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

Adware?

1. Use free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac/ AdwareMedic to remove adware

http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php

Download, install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

or

Remove the adware manually by following the “HowTo” from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

2. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn all extensions off and relaunch Safari. Test.

Turn those on one by one and test.

3. Safari > Preferences > Search > Search Engine :

Select your preferred search engine.

Note: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac/ AdwareMedic is recommended by Apple support.

Aug 27, 2015 8:18 PM in response to jennysands

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a test, not a solution. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

Step 1

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is localized to your user account.

Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest. Same problem?

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

Step 2

The purpose of this step is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party system modifications that load automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Please take this step regardless of the results of Step 1.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually log in automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of Steps 1 and 2.

Safari takes hours to load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.