Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I restored my iphone to an older date using iTunes, I lost every thing.

Dear all,

I have an iphone 5 and I have connected to my mac.

In itunes, by mistake i did a restore based on a very old version (version of 2 years a go). so my iphone restared, then showed my Hello, choose language etc (as if I bought a new iphone !).

Now I have lost every thing.In fact now I have only old datas of 2 years ago in my iphone. and I dont have recents backups on itunes or in iCloud ! (Actually I never do backups) !

Is there any way to reset my iphone for ex. to a specific date (lets say yesterday)?

Like this I can have my iphone as it was yesterday!!

Or any other ways to recover the lost data?

Thank you

bests regards

iPhone 5

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 1:37 PM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2015 1:40 PM in response to emam123

Sorry, but you are completely and utterly out of luck. Your only security of recovering information from such mistakes is to regularly make up to date backups of your devices content. ICloud backups are automatic, so it would have been simple for you to have enabled that feature. You chose not to make backups, so there is no hope at all of recovering anything.

Aug 27, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Michael Black

Thank you for your response.

I know that this is bad luck 😟

But this means that iTunes restores the iphone to the older version by automatically deleting all the newer data?!

For ex. if the last backup on itunes is 2 months ago, and we do the restoring tcorresponding to that date, we loose all the 2 months new data?

Seems to be too easy !

Bests regards

Aug 27, 2015 3:09 PM in response to emam123

True, a restore of a backup replaces all the current information with that of the backup. That is exactly why it is so important to keep your backups up to date. With iCloud it is simple - once setup, iCloud backups occur every day, automatically, whenever the device is plugged in, asleep and connected to a wifi network. So if you have wifi at home, just plug your iPhone in overnight and it will automatically incrementally backup every night.

I'm sorry you lost your data, but please learn from it and setup some method of regular backups so it never happens again. I have daily iCloud backups going, and I make an encrypted backup in iTunes at least once a week so I have redundant backups.

Aug 27, 2015 4:54 PM in response to emam123

You're not completely out of luck. Yes, you will have lost plenty of content but not necessarily everything,

Update your Phone to iOS 8.4.1 via iTunes to bring it up to speed

Go ahead and resent all of your music back onto your device with the regular 'Sync' method in iTunes, and you can always bring over all of your apps as well

If not that way, go ahead and download them again from the App Store. they're all linked to your Apple ID along with all your iTunes purchases so you'll always have those.

Turn on your iCloud contacts and such and see if anything there is acquirable.

Best of luck

I restored my iphone to an older date using iTunes, I lost every thing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.