Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serial numbers for 2G iPod Shuffle on box and ASP are not the same

I notice that the Serial number on my 2G iPod Shuffle's box and the Apple System Profiler (ASP) aren't the same. Can this cause a problem when asking for Apple's Tech and/or Product support if they require the Serial number ? If so, which one should be conveyed ? Just curious.

Should they be different ? Is this a problem ?

iPod, Shuffle, Black MacBook, 17" PB, Dual 2.5GHz PM G5, Mac OS X (10.4.7), SwiftData 200, LightScribe DVD

Posted on Nov 3, 2006 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2006 6:26 PM

Try looking in iTunes for the serial of your iPod. When connected open the iPod Preferences, or in iTunes 7 click the device, it will display the serial number.
5 replies

Nov 6, 2006 8:37 AM in response to BarryXSharp

BarryXSharp,

It will show the USB device ID in the System Profiler. This is not necessarily the same as the serial number of the device. For some devices it might be the same. Not exactly, but similiar to how your Airport ID and the Computer Serial number are not the same.

I have verified the numbers reported in the Apple System Profiler for my iPod Shuffle, and my iPod (Fifth Generation) are not the same as engraved on the back or reported in iTunes.

Serial numbers for 2G iPod Shuffle on box and ASP are not the same

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.