Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use MainStage 3 for my full band to play thru, live?

My band has been playing thru Logic X in rehearsal, and I've been seeing video of bands like Nine Inch Nails using MainStage to run the entire band, in a live setting...

Is this possible..?

Essentially, what I'd like to do is just have a template for our basic live setup, which includes: 1 Bass patch, 1 Guitar patch, 2 Vocal patches & 1 Playback track, and be able to create 4 in-ear mixes for each of us...

The problem I'm having is that the terminology in MainStage 3 is kinda confusing & nothing in the manual or any tutorials I've hunted down have anything about setting up MainStage for a full band.....yet like I said, I've seen a couple people using it for their full band's setup, live...

Any help would really be appreciated...thank you!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 6:45 AM

Absolutely possible. That's exactly what my band does.

*shameless plug*

I actually made a tutorial on this topic recently that may be helpful. If the video doesn't get what you are looking for, just let me know and I'll help however I can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGwlp1hpl_k

4 replies

Aug 29, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Authentic Identity

Thanks, man!

I could really use some help...lol

I think I finally made some progress yesterday, by figuring out that a "patch" in mainstage isn't exactly just a patch, in the traditional sense...and that a "set" basically represents a song, not a full set...the labels were what was really confusing me. I kept setting up a set and then opening individual patches under the folder, that I thought were needed for each individual instrument, and couldn't figure out why it was only letting me use one patch at a time...lol

So, what I did was open a new "patch" & loaded all our instrument/vocal patches via the channel strip & it seemed to work, but I'm still pretty new to midi mapping and all that, so I didn't get all of my setup done...

Does that sound right? Should I think of a set as representing an individual song & a patch as representing our global settings/patches for all instrument patches on that song? That's really the only way I've figured out how to get all of our channels "armed" at once...

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated...thanks again!

Aug 29, 2015 8:03 AM in response to TheDistant

Yeah, in Mainstage terms, each level is like a container of settings, in hierarchical order:

Concert->Set->Patch.

You can do almost anything you want at any level...it just depends on how you use it.

Here's how I use it, and that may help:

1) Concert Level- (An entire gig)
A) Metronome Channel Strip with NO output (so the audience doesn't hear it), with Bus routings to the different Headphones Mixes
B) Reverb Bus
C) All band members headphone Busses going to their respective outputs
2) Set Level- (a complete song)
A) Channel strips for each audio input that will stay the same through the whole song. (i.e Vocals, Guitars, Piano, etc.)
B) A channel strip with the Playback plugin for our backing tracks.
C) Add bus outputs on each of the channel strips going to each band members headphone bus.
3) Patch Level- (Verses, choruses, Bridges, etc.)
A) Lyrics and Chords in a text window
B) Any sounds or instruments that will only play during that section of the song.

Now, if you want to use Mainstage by itself, without automation, you may need to create your channel strips at the patch level for anything that will change often through each song. For example, if you want your guitar sound to change between the verses and choruses...then don't make the guitar track at the Set level...only make it within each patch, so that it will have the different settings.

Of course, you could also automate changes using Logic, but that's a little more advanced. ;-)

Hope that helps a bit.

Is it possible to use MainStage 3 for my full band to play thru, live?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.