Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Micro SD Card Damaged/Corrupted... Does not show in Disk Utility... How to recover?

I have a Micro SD card that came out of a GoPro Hero4 Black after a major crash. The card appears fine to the eye, but will not read in my computer at all!

The card is no longer readable by the GoPro, it just says there is an error. But at least the GoPro recognizes that there is a card inside!

The SD Card reader slot in my Macbook Pro 13" Retina is working fine. Up until testing this card, I have had one of those Micro SD drives in there to increase my internal storage. I have tried using the little drive plug as well as the micro-to-regular SD adapter that came with the card. When I plug them in, the damaged card does not display. I've gone back and forth between the damaged card and my standard card several times and my card works fine every time, so I do not think the port is malfunctioning.

I have tried looking for the card in:

Disk Utility

Disk Warrior

Disk Arbitrator

Data Rescue 3

And it does not show up in any system.

Reviewing other people's questions, I saw that some people checked Console and found that their computer was sending a signal to the SD card reader, but was not receiving anything back. If I open Console, then insert the SD card, nothing happens. There are no messages immediately displayed that appear as if they could have any relevance to this situation.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've done lots of data recovery on HDDs before, and with those, you can at least tell if they're spinning or not!! I'm sort of at a loss on this one. I'm about to give up, but I just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else had seen this before!!

Thanks so much!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:50 PM

2 replies

Micro SD Card Damaged/Corrupted... Does not show in Disk Utility... How to recover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.