Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help transferring files to used iMac from older iMac

I have a new used iMac (21.5 inch, late 2009), without gray install disks, that I just erased and installed OS X 10.6.8 from install DVD (with guidance from Apple Care tech). I want to transfer everything from my even-older iMac (20 inch, Mid 2007) using Setup Assistant, however I now realize my even-older iMac is running OS X 10.8.5. Can I transfer this way and then update the newer iMac's OS? Or, is there a way to update the newer iMac's OS and run Setup Assistant again? I've read so many posts about problems using Migration Assistant that I'm afraid to go that route instead. I appreciate any help!

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 1:42 PM

Since you have already started you new iMac you cannot use Setup Assistant. Instead you would use Migration Assistant located in the Utilities folder. You can connect the two computers using Firewire and booting the old computer into Target Disk Mode. It's hard drive should then appear on the Desktop of the new computer. It can be used like any other disk drive.

There is nothing wrong with Migration Assistant. It and Setup Assistant are basically the same except that Migration Assistant will not overwrite an existing user folder. If you are afraid of Migration Assistant, then you should be equally afraid of the Setup Assistant. In any event you've already installed Snow Leopard and updated it to 10.6.8 (there is no 10.6.8 installer DVD.)

How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

Migration Assistant tips and tricks

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 1:42 PM in response to MoonPigeon

Since you have already started you new iMac you cannot use Setup Assistant. Instead you would use Migration Assistant located in the Utilities folder. You can connect the two computers using Firewire and booting the old computer into Target Disk Mode. It's hard drive should then appear on the Desktop of the new computer. It can be used like any other disk drive.

There is nothing wrong with Migration Assistant. It and Setup Assistant are basically the same except that Migration Assistant will not overwrite an existing user folder. If you are afraid of Migration Assistant, then you should be equally afraid of the Setup Assistant. In any event you've already installed Snow Leopard and updated it to 10.6.8 (there is no 10.6.8 installer DVD.)

How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

Migration Assistant tips and tricks

Aug 27, 2015 1:48 PM in response to MoonPigeon

Step one would be to put the older iMac into target disk mode, hook it up to the newer (late '09 machine), open System Preferences->Startup Disk->select the '07 machine (should appear as an ext HD), and see if it will boot with it. If so, while booted with the '07 machine, wipe the '09's HD, and use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to clone the '07 HD to the '09 machine.

27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10.5), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

Help transferring files to used iMac from older iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.