Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari isn't responding. Everything says it is. I can't Force Quit it and I can't restart because the Mac says it's running.

Safari isn't responding. Force Quit says it is. I can't restart because Safari is running. I can't see it. I can't open it. I can't close it. Safari is not functioning at all.

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 5:16 PM

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the Name column header to display in descending order. Select the Safari process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that works. You may also need to kill any open tab processes that will be listed under the Safari entry.

User uploaded file

This is from my computer. Note the several tab entries listed underneath Safari. You will need to kill each of those you find before you can kill Safari itself. Note you may have different items listed from your computer.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 5:16 PM in response to rbecca8

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the Name column header to display in descending order. Select the Safari process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that works. You may also need to kill any open tab processes that will be listed under the Safari entry.

User uploaded file

This is from my computer. Note the several tab entries listed underneath Safari. You will need to kill each of those you find before you can kill Safari itself. Note you may have different items listed from your computer.

Safari isn't responding. Everything says it is. I can't Force Quit it and I can't restart because the Mac says it's running.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.