Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" choppy graphics

Hello there,

I've recently bought a 15" MacBook Pro Retina with discrete graphics and I'm very happy with it.

However, something less annoying (but still recognizable) occurring when it comes to intensive graphical performance in Yosemite,

the animation is getting a little choppy.

Like the pop-up animation of the Applications folder in the dock while being in mission control.

That doesn't happen anymore when the discrete graphics are activated, but that isn't a real solution.

May it be that the Iris Pro graphics aren't really able to handle the Retina display?

Thanks for suggestions!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Graphics

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 1:47 PM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Traninator

Using the discrete graphics chip is what you use if you have substantial graphics demand that isn't handled well by the integrated graphics. The latter is not as fast as the former. This isn't a matter of whether Iris Pro isn't able to handle the Retina Display.

If you need faster and better graphics for something in particular, then use discrete graphics. That is what it's for.

Aug 27, 2015 2:19 PM in response to Kappy

Yes, I know that you can set the discrete graphics to run all the time, but it's not a real solution due to the power consumption.

So I have to stick to the automatic switching and that is when the Iris Pro graphics are annoying me a little bit.

In not high-demanding apps like the normal usage of Yosemite the Mac uses the integrated graphics which are not able to handle big animations WITHIN Yosemite. Not that it's taking much time it's just that choppiness isn't looking really good.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" choppy graphics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.