Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5S stuck on Apple logo then rebooting - loop

I noticed my phone randomly crashing after the latest iOS update. I would be in the middle of a call, 98% battery life. Phone just goes black. I had to end up plugging it into a charger to get it to turn on again.

Well, today it happened and this time, the phone rebooted and goes to the Apple logo, got stuck, then goes black, reboots, goes to Apple logo, rinse and repeat.

I went online, looks like a lot of people are reporting random restarts and this error on the older iPhones since the latest iOS update? Absolutely ridiculous Apple - feel like I'm back on Windows :-(

Anyways, I put the phone into recovery mode, iTunes extracts the software, but then when it tries to install it onto the phone, the phone shuts off, reboots, and goes back to the "Plug into iTunes" screen. Of course, at that point, iTunes on my Mac spits out the error "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (2001)."

Anyone know what in the world is going on? I can't even restore it through recovery mode it seems!

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 2:49 PM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2015 2:55 PM in response to TK90

As per Apple KB to see specific iTunes errors:

Check USB connections Related errors: 13, 14, 1600-1629, 1643-1650, 2000-2009, 4000, 4005, 4013, 4014, 4016, “invalid response,” and being prompted to restore again after a restore completes.

If there’s an issue with the USB port, cable, dock, or hub, or if the device becomes disconnected during restore, try troubleshooting the USB connection, then troubleshooting your security software.

To narrow down the issue, you can also change up your hardware:

• Use another USB cable.
  • Plug your cable into a different USB port on your computer.
  • Try a different dock connector (or no dock).
  • Add (or remove) a USB hub between your device and computer.
  • Connect your computer directly to your Internet source, with no routers, hubs, or switches.
  • If you checked your connections and are still seeing the error message, check for hardware issues.

All else fails take it in to an Apple Store.

Aug 27, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Kappy

I tried both ports - it's not a problem with the USB port. If you recall from my original post, I mentioned that right as iTunes tries to install onto the phone after downloading and extracting the software, the phone goes black and goes back to the Apple logo, and then the Plug into iTunes recovery mode screen. Because the phone is restarting like that, obviously iTunes is giving the error that it cannot connect with the phone....

Also, I'm out of warranty. This is BS - Apple's software update broke my phone!

Aug 27, 2015 4:43 PM in response to TK90

Calm Down, Okay?

Apple's Software did not break your phone.

What kind of iPhone is it?

Did you update it via Wi-Fi or over iTunes

If it was over Wi-Fi then there is your problem and you most likely interrupted the update somehow/ someway and glitches occurred causing your software to have issues.

Try a different computer, cable, the works.

Worst case Scenario, go ahead and make an appointment with your local Apple Retail Store and have them restore your device.

It'll wipe it clean and install brand-new, working Software.

iPhone 5S stuck on Apple logo then rebooting - loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.