Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Lost My Data on Mac (Become as New)

Hi,

I found that all my files are lost out of sudden. I tried to check the files on user folder, desk top, notes, reminder, safari and key shin passwords, my mac preferences returned to original and become as new, the documents folder empty and white nothing in it, but the apps are there.

I don't know what happen but I just open my devise today and I tried to send some file (C.V) to a company and I didn't find it, The file was encrypted with MacKeeper Version 2.19 (775), but a message pad out "the file not available or something like that". Then I tried to check for other files when I found all the files gone and the mac preference returned to the original sittings (Become as New) and all passwords gone with other data.

I don't have external HD used as TimeMachine or external TimeMachine Capsule. I don't know if there an option to restore and retrieve my data if I don't have that.

😊 Please help me to restore and retrieve all my data and files.

😕😕😕😕😢😢

OS X Yosemite

Version 10.10.5

MacBood Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Corei7

Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 1:56 PM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2015 2:02 PM in response to eidmo

eidmo wrote:

The file was encrypted with MacKeeper

MacKeeper is crapware. Largely considered malware by those in the Mac community. In fact, they were just hit with a massive settlement for fraud (though I don't believe they admitted to it as part of the settlement.

You can more than likely blame that piece of junk for your problems.

I don't have external HD used as TimeMachine or external TimeMachine Capsule. I don't know if there an option to restore and retrieve my data if I don't have that.

If you don't have a backup, you have a serious problem. It's most likely gone for good.

Aug 27, 2015 3:16 PM in response to eidmo

Is there any other way for mac to backup the data, like belt-in backup similar to iPhone ^^''

No.

Do not install MacKeeper (and how to uninstall it if you have):

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6221

It contains a major security flaw, recently noted:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/05/08/contentious.utility.ignored.apple.guideli nes.created.zero.day.exploit.128538/

There is currently a class-action against MacKeeper:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2927032/ads-for-mackeeper-refunds-will-run-on-fa cebook.html#tk.nl_mwbest

(Please note that references to the original developers, Zeobit, also now refer to Kromtech Alliance Corp, who acquired MacKeeper and PCKeeper from ZeoBit LLC in early 2013.)

Aug 27, 2015 3:30 PM in response to Klaus1

I really appreciate that. I tried to contact them to help me and I'm trying to restore my files which contain my C.V and pictures with a lot of important files. They said you have to wait for technical support and they will try to help ^^".

The question her should I uninstall it and say good bye for my files and data >> Start with new Mac :'''(

or should I give them the chance to help me. because i really need my files and photo because i don't have backup.

I Lost My Data on Mac (Become as New)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.