Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Boot

My friend says his Mac Pro 1.1 freezes, so he switches it off and leaves it for a while but then can take 20 minutes to boot up. Any ideas?

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 1:56 AM

This could be symptoms of a (boot) hard drive beginning to fail. I recently had a case exactly like this, the Mac was taking minutes to complete booting and even though Apple's own Disk Utility did not report any problems another more powerful tool I used to scan the entire drive did find lots of issues with the drive.

He should ensure he has a backup of his files and take the opportunity to upgrade to a new bigger hard drive.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2015 1:56 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

This could be symptoms of a (boot) hard drive beginning to fail. I recently had a case exactly like this, the Mac was taking minutes to complete booting and even though Apple's own Disk Utility did not report any problems another more powerful tool I used to scan the entire drive did find lots of issues with the drive.

He should ensure he has a backup of his files and take the opportunity to upgrade to a new bigger hard drive.

Aug 28, 2015 2:15 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

Hi! You can also try the steps below.

Safe Boot:

- Shut down your Mac

- Wait until your computer turns off and after that press the Power button

- Right after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key

- Release the Shift key when you see a grey Apple sign and the progress bar below this sign

- After your Mac boots up, restart it as you usually do.

If this doesn't help, follow the instructions below:

- Shut down your Mac

- Wait until your computer turns off and after that press the Power button

- Right after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key

- Release the Shift key when you see a grey Apple sign and the progress bar below this sign

- Once you see Desktop, start a Disk Utility scan to detect and repair file system errors (don't forget to choose your main hard drive)

- Click on Verify Disk and then, if asked to fix problems, on Repair Disk

- After this, click on Verify Disk Permissions and then on Repair Disk Permissions

- After the process is finished, shut down your Mac and turn it back on after about 30 seconds

Apart from that, take a look at this Apple article and follow the instructions on Resetting NVRAM shown there: How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Try resetting the System Management Controller: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Hope this helps!

Aug 28, 2015 5:12 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

Roy Bradshaw wrote:

THanks

What was your more powerful facility?

Roy

Apple's Disk Utility just has a SMART status of Verified or Failing and often will not report hardware errors.

I use a tool from SCSC called Scannerz which can be set to thoroughly test each block on a hard disk. It reports not only bad blocks but areas where the disk is struggling. Literally yesterday I tested a drive which was very slow to boot even after a successful reformat using Disk Utility and Scannerz found well over a hundred problems at which point I stopped it as clearly it was a bad drive to have that many problems.

Sep 8, 2015 3:49 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

Further to the Slow Boot problem. If the computer is shut down normally it usualy boots up again straight away the next time it is used, but recently it has locked up while being used and the only way to continue is to switch off via the power button, but then it will not boot straight away, but after, possibly hours, it does boot up and continues working until it freezes again. I have tried all the previous methods and replaced the PRAM battery, any I deal where I can go from here. The local Apples service agent says basically I have done all they would do and anything else would probably need new parts which aren't available.

Sep 12, 2015 2:34 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

This has been an interesting problem which I will outline (within my very limited knowledge of computers). The symptoms suggested the PRAM battery. Initially I thought this might be a service agent problem but then found it is a readily available CR2032 hidden below the graphics card and easily replaced. But that wasn't a cure. Eventually my friend said it was mainly when he was using Safari that it crashed. I am now guessing that some helpful (PC) friend had dragged Safari from the Applications folder and placed it on the desk top - he likes to see lots of icons on the desk top. I replaced it but that didn't help. I then found that somehow he had created 585 bookmarks - he doesn't know how.

Now I am guessing:- At one point in time it said I had no VRAM. Was VRAM being used to store those bookmarks, and was it full and any attempt to add anything to it the reason it crashed?

I deleted the bookmarks, reinstalled Safari from Time Machine still with no improvement. Fortunately I had loaded a second version of Snow Leopard in a separate drive which enabled me to re-boot the machine by removing the main drive before doing so. I also made the second drive the default drive while I was workington it.. Provided I shut down normally using the second drive, I could replace the main drive and it would reboot OK from either drive. The second drive worked perfectly satisfactorily but the main drive would still crash even after using restart. Eventually I resorted to reloading Snow Leopard from the disk, onto the main drive and although it wasn't an immediate solution it is now working OK. At least it appears to be.

Sep 12, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

Was PRAM being used to store those bookmarks ?

PRAM (backed up by the 3 Volt coin cell battery) is used to store things that must be accessible when the File System is not working. Typical contents are fundamental System parameters and certain Hardware defaults and similar items required at Boot-up, but impossible to get from the File System because the File System is not yet loaded.

It is also used to temporarily store the "suicide note" created in certain kernel panics.

Anything that can be stored in a file will not be stored in PRAM. Bookmarks would never be stored there.

Sep 14, 2015 1:17 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks. So that is my theory gone. Although I now seem to have got it working (possibly by reloading Snow Leopard on the Main Drive) I am curious on one or two things. This was originally my computer and I erased the Main Drive, Reloaded Snow Leopard and made my friend the user, then when I loaded Snow Leopard onto a second drive it came up with me as the user, I could sign in with my old password but couldn't unlock anything neither with my password or my friends.

If I booted up with "my" drive everything seemed to work OK, For example I could make "my" drive the default drive and restart OK but if I then selected to bootup with the Main Drive, though it appeard to work OK, if I used restart then the computer locked up. I could only restart by removing the Main drive when it would then find "my " drive.

So why did it remember my original password, and what may have caused the Main Drive not to function if it crashed or I just used restart?

Just curious, most of this is probably beyond my comprehension.

Sep 14, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

System Preferences > Users & Groups ...

This database of who is allowed to log in (and their massively encrypted password) is generally stored on the Boot Drive (except when you tie the Mac login to a Server). Change to a different Boot Drive, and you change who can log in and their password.

You also change to a different default Home Directory, because Home Directories will be listed relative to the Boot Drive. (But that is also changeable.)

Sep 15, 2015 1:50 AM in response to Roy Bradshaw

Hello Grant, and thanks for your help. Searching my unreliable human memory, I think I remember seeing occasionally that when it boots up only one of the red lights on the memory boards comes on, and other times it is both. I am now guessing there is a memory problem. If that is so is there a way of checking which piece of memory is failing. I am aware of the About this Mac route to Memory but am not with the computer at the moment so would like to be prepared next time I visit.

Slow Boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.