Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 5,1 crashes/shuts off when starting to render video with OpenCL...

Hey guys,

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 that I have been actively beefing up recently, but I've hit a bit of a snag.

Every time I try to render video with Adobe Media Encoder CC 2015 with OpenCL acceleration turned on, the computer immediately shuts itself off. When I try to render with OpenCL turned off, it gets through the render, albeit at a much reduced speed.

Everything was working fine until yesterday, when I added an ATTO R680 SAS RAID Card into PCIe Slot #2. With the card in, I'm experiencing this issue. With the card out, there is no issue. All drivers have been installed.

My initial thought was that it might be a power issue, but the ATTO card is only drawing about 10w. Could that really be the difference maker? Or is there something else that it doesn't seem to like with regard to OpenCL processing? Has anyone else run into any similar issues?

I'm really at a loss here. Any help would be incredible. Thanks in advance.

My specs are:

Mac Pro 5,1

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

64GB RAM

PCIe #1: AMD RADEON HD 7950

PCIe #2: ATTO R680 SAS RAID Card (I just added this & then the problems arose)

PCIe #3: Kingston HyperX 480GB SSD (my boot drive)
PCIe #4: Sonnet USB3.0 PRO Card

Thanks again.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Mac Pro 5,1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 4:26 PM

15 replies

Aug 28, 2015 1:02 PM in response to lllaass

The problem with that is that I don't want to lose the bandwidth present in PCIe Slot #2 (which is x8). I could swap #3 & #4, but I don't see how that would help me in this situation.

When Apple says 300w total for the PCIe slots, are they including the graphics card in PCIe #1? Or is that not counted in the 300w since it's got its own power cables attached? If so, I'm well, well under the 300w allotment.

Aug 28, 2015 4:10 PM in response to smier33

whose controller #3 for SSD? and do pull and just troubleshot and then decide, but cannot troubleshot if you won't try. Also boot8ing from another drive, invoking TRIM and yes all SSD need it or trimforce. an SSD can fail, and crashes require steps to insure directory and files are all ok - they won't if you just keep booting over again.

Aug 29, 2015 9:59 AM in response to The hatter

I'm willing to try anything and everything it takes to troubleshoot the issue; don't get me wrong.

The SSD is Kingston, and upon installing this as my boot drive, I consulted with them directly and they advised me NOT to enable trim for their drive, since it does its own garbage collection.

That being said, in my estimation the best place to start on this issue is with the SAS RAID card and the RADEON 7950 card, as the issue seems to stem somewhere between them. If you have a different theory specifically, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Aug 29, 2015 10:20 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Aha. And is that the typical response when the GPU outdraws its limits? The computer shuts down?

If this is indeed the issue (which seems pretty easy to believe that it is), what do you think is the best solution? Will an additional internal power supply help? Or am I looking at needing a PCIe Expansion Chassis or something?

And if this is the case, any thoughts on why things work fine without the SAS RAID Card out, but not at all with it in?

Thanks.

Aug 29, 2015 10:37 AM in response to smier33

Perhaps the graphics card is close to or within its own limits, but you are overdrawing the total power when using the RAID card as well.

I would make certain the wires on the graphics card aux power connectors were suitably large, and that they were plugged in completely. (no marginal connections.) If one featured wires that look small by comparison, I would spend the US$10 to get a better-looking one.

Everything uses "wiping" contacts, so just removing and re-seating sometimes proves helpful in that it wipes away any accumulated corrosion.

and yes, the power supply is designed to shut down when over-drawn. The alternative is to allow it to run-away, overheat, and explode.

Aug 30, 2015 8:54 AM in response to smier33

If one of the required two aux cables had wires that looked like the 18 gauge wire used for the other wires inside your Mac or car accessory wiring (which is perfectly fine), and the other had wires looked like telephone-wire (which is too small to carry the full current needed), I would replace the lighter-gauge one.

It's not likely, but neither is the problem you are having.

Sep 1, 2015 4:26 AM in response to smier33

For testing purposes you obviously need the 7950 to see what your doing, and you need the Kingston to boot from, and you obviously need to have the ATTO card in as that is the suspect device. However you could remove the Sonnet USB card. At a minimum this would slightly lower the power load and also allow you to try the other slot for the ATTO card.

Have you verified the fan is working on the 7950? It might be worth giving the card a good clean as dust acts as an insulator and can contribute therefore to overheating. Does your 7950 look like this one? http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sapphire/100352MAC/ That is does it have white plastic like that picture? If it has red plastic then it is a PC version not a Mac version. It is possible for PC versions to be 'over-clocked' which increases their performance but means they need more power and produce more heat. The Mac version is supposed to be clocked at 800MHz but some PC ones are over-clocked to 1GHz. I believe PC 1GHz versions are supposed to use a 6-pin plus an 8-pin cable whereas the Mac version uses two 6-pin cables. 6-pin cables only provide half the maximum power of an 8-pin cable so you can see a 1GHz card might draw more power than two 6-pin cables can provide.

I would agree with others that these symptoms are typical for a power overload. On the software side there is no way to get and install newer drivers for the 7950 since these drivers are provided by Apple and are built-in to OS X and you already have the current latest version of 10.10.5, but is there any update for Adobe Media Encoder?

Sep 1, 2015 9:03 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I think all the tools for doing this are Windows only. On Windows these days you could use the Catalyst drivers from AMD which have built-in options to adjust the speed of the card. I believe there are some tools around to customise the firmware before you flash the card so as to set the default speed for the card and therefore set what will happen when using it in OS X as well. Obviously the Catalyst driver will not work in OS X.

This tool http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/vbe7-vbios-editor-for-radeon-hd-7000-s eries-cards.189089/ looks the best Windows tool for editing the settings of a HD 7xxx series card. I think adjustments made this way will also apply to when you boot in to OS X.

ATI WinFlash is the tool for 'flashing' the firmware e.g. to convert to a Mac card - once you have made the Mac firmware for it.

Is your card a white plastic or red plastic one?

Mac Pro 5,1 crashes/shuts off when starting to render video with OpenCL...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.