Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back to my mac not working

Hello, I am trying to resolve Time Capsule issues and am trying to enable BackToMyMac, but each time I input my password, the check box is blank as if I haven't done anything. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your input.

a presto,

Lorenzo

PowerBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 3:51 PM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2015 5:03 PM in response to lorenzowinedude

Does BTMM work on your computer.. if the password doesn't work there it also won't work in the TC.

We have found the TC has to be in router mode and get the public IP on its wan interface to work.. only recently has Apple updated the documents to reflect this.. no TC in bridge will work.. although just to confuse you .. occasionally it does.

Set up and use Back to My Mac - Apple Support

Aug 27, 2015 5:21 PM in response to LaPastenague

Ciao LaPastenague, Thank you for your reply. I was having the issue on my PowerBook, so I signed out completely and signed back in. That solved the sign-in problem on the PowerBook and then I enabled BTMM on the TC. That still didn't let me connect, so I remembered what someone else wrote in the forums about a shorter name for the TC disk. That did it! BTW, I do have bridge mode enabled on the TC since I am not using it as a router. Will that cause problems down the road...?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

a presto

Aug 27, 2015 5:34 PM in response to lorenzowinedude

It is a mixed bag..

Apple has come forth and said BTMM is difficult or impossible with bridge.. so you might be able to type in the values.. but to remotely access it.. it will simply fail. This is due to some fairly poor implementation on Apple's part. I have an idea if you use a router that does actually support NAT-PMP it might well work.. BTMM says the router must support NAT-PMP or UPNP.. almost all routers support UPNP but only apple and a few select brands support Apple's alternative.. and this is where you run into trouble.. the BTMM software in the Mac includes UPNP.. but the TC or airport version apparently does not. This is educated guess work on my part.. if someone more educated would like to set me straight.. I have this crick in my back for ages and ages.

All I can say is.. try .. but not Yoda advice.. this is trial and error try.. not jedi try. (Do or Do NOT there is no TRY.. all science would fail in a jedi world).

Back to my mac not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.