Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad stuck in recovery mode when trying to update to 8.4.1

My iPad has stuck in a nasty recovery mode. It was connected to my Windows laptop to be updated to 8.4.1 when suddenly it stopped and showed me an error notification. I tried to redo the process but no luck. Everything I have read here (Apple Community--people trying to help each other, without a cost to Apple) seem to be advising for a "Reset". But, I don't have a recent backup for my iPad and really worried about losing my stuff. Is there any way around that? Thanks. p.s. I am very upset with Apple for not even being apologetic about their expensive products crashing and causing inconvenience for people. Shame!

iPad 2, Crashed during an update to 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 3:53 PM

2 replies

Aug 27, 2015 5:22 PM in response to SK from stoke on trent

I am sorry to say that without a backup you will inevitably lose some, if not most content.

You need to restore the device via iTunes.

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

From there, go ahead and sign into your Apple ID and iCloud and recover as much as possible.

You can also sync over your music and apps.

It is not Apple's Responsibility to protect your personal data and content. They provide several ways for you to back it up and protect it. Whether customer's choose to use those resources is a different case entirely.

Best of Luck.

Aug 27, 2015 5:32 PM in response to SK from stoke on trent

What kind or Error Code did you get? Do you recall the number? Before you try a Reset which will clear all your data, it might be worth trying the steps in the article below. You may need a Reset but little to lose in trying:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

My iPad stuck in recovery mode when trying to update to 8.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.