Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Every time I restart my MacBook a bunch of popups come up asking for passwords to different programs. How can I stop this?

Every time that I shut down my MacBook Pro (15-inch if that matters at all) and turn it back on it asks me to enter my password for a bunch of different apps. It happens after the initial login once it opens to the desktop. It is really obnoxious and I have no idea how to stop it.

I'm not sure what else to add for details so if you need any other info I can try and provide it. I'm also not positive on which section to post this in so sorry if it isn't in the right spot.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 4:41 PM

7 replies

Aug 27, 2015 6:15 PM in response to Kappy

This is exactly what is written on each separate pop up:

talagent wants to use the “local items” keychain.

Messages Agents wants to use the “local items” keychain.

CalendarAgent wants to use the “local items” keychain.

AddressBookSourceSync wants to use the “local items” keychain.

com.apple.iCloudHelper.xpc wants to use the “local items” keychain.

accountsd wants to use the “local items” keychain.

cloudd wants to use the “local items” keychain.

cloudpaird wants to use the “local items” keychain.

I wish I knew more about it but I just switched from dell so I am still really new to this :/

Aug 27, 2015 6:26 PM in response to CayFleming

These are all elements of your OS X system requesting permission to use information in your Keychain. I would suggest you just click on the OK button after which you should not see those prompts again.

None of those processes are viruses or other forms of malware. They are all benign. Most their individual sources are easy to determine just by the names: Messages, Calendar, Address Book/Contacts, iCloud, and user accounts.

Aug 27, 2015 9:12 PM in response to CayFleming

In your Utilities folder click on Keychain Access. Then follow this procedure:

1. Open Keychain Access (located in Applications/Utilities)

2. Go to the "Keychain Access" menu and select "Preferences"

3. Click the "First Aid" tab

4. Make sure the "Synchronize login keychain password" box is checked

5. Close the Preferences window

6. Go to the "Keychain Access" menu and select "Keychain First Aid"

7. Enter your username and password

8. Click the "Repair" button

This should fix your Keychain and tie your keychain's password to your admin password. This may fix the problem of the repetitious password requests.

If the above isn't successful then try:

Persistently asked for stored passwords If you are persistently asked for passwords in various applications that you have specified should be remembered in a keychain, your "login" keychain may not be active for one reason or another.

Navigate to ~/Library/Keychains/ (this is the Library folder inside your user's home folder). Find the file named "login.keychain" and double-click it.

Failing that, select the "login" keychain within the Keychain Access application and make sure it is the default keychain by going to the "File" menu and selecting "Make 'Login' Default"

Every time I restart my MacBook a bunch of popups come up asking for passwords to different programs. How can I stop this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.