Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I get a spam pop-up link 8 out of 10 times I click on something.

Every time I click on something, whether it's the "Questions" tab for my ask.fm or "Images" hyperlink on google, I get some stupid pop-up page. It's those spam links like "PC Cleaner" or "Clean your Mac!" or "Apple Customer Support" with those fake phone numbers and stuff. It's getting EXTREMELY annoying.

I thought it was my computer, so I restarted it. Nope. Thought it was my WiFi. Nope. It happens everywhere else. What in the world is the problem? I haven't had this issue previously, and it started happening about a week ago.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 9:05 PM

5 replies

Aug 27, 2015 9:14 PM in response to telephonedude98

Clickhereand follow the instructions, or if there’s a type of adware not covered by them on the computer,these ones. If you'd rather not remove it manually, you can instead runMalwareBytes for Mac.

MalwareBytes is a removal tool and doesn't stop adware or other malware from getting onto the computer. To prevent future incidents, avoid downloading software from sources other than the Mac App Store or the developer websites.

(132470)

Aug 28, 2015 8:20 AM in response to telephonedude98

First, never use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software on a Mac. That's how you create problems, not how you solve them.

If Safari is not affected, you may have installed a malicious Chrome extension such as "Adblock Super" or "News Ticker Remover." Remove all extensions you don't know you need. If in doubt, remove all of them.

I get a spam pop-up link 8 out of 10 times I click on something.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.