Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem publishing title template for fcpx

Hey Guys,

I'm running Motion 5.2.1 on a MacBook Air 2013 13" OS X 10.10.4. I have a problem with publishing a particular title from Motion 5 to FCPX. I can publish titles with no trouble, but when I apply this behavior to the text layer - text animations, sequence text - and then add the parameter character offset to this behavior in the inspector then Motion does not want to render the title template to FCPX. Does any of you have this same glitch? And do you have an idea why this is not working in Motion? Am I doing anything wrong?

Mike

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 4:49 AM

What do you mean by Motion won't render in FCPX? What exactly isn't working properly? I'm testing and it works fine for me. Are you doing anything else with that behavior besides text offset. If you could zip that up and send it to me, I'd love to look at the project directly. My email should show up in my profile.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2015 4:49 AM in response to bu1lder

What do you mean by Motion won't render in FCPX? What exactly isn't working properly? I'm testing and it works fine for me. Are you doing anything else with that behavior besides text offset. If you could zip that up and send it to me, I'd love to look at the project directly. My email should show up in my profile.

Aug 28, 2015 6:39 AM in response to BenB

Hi Ben! Thank you kindly for looking into my case! After I read your reply, which was very helpful, I was able to narrow the issue down to the cause. I had the effect before that but did not have the cause. You said that it rendered ok for you after you added the character offset parameter. I decided to test that and indeed it worked. But I had tweaked some of the settings for the character offset which I didn't mention in my question initially. And now after changing and saving those one by one I think I found the culprit. After changing the Animate: Character to Animate: Character (without spaces), which is a parameter in the character offset menu, the title did not want to render but kept spinning in a loop. You can try it and see how it goes for you.

Aug 28, 2015 3:29 PM in response to bu1lder

If you could send me a zipped up copy of that project file, I'd love to look at it. I'm not clear about what you're doing. Or a screen shot of your Motion project screen. All the offset does is jumble up what letter shows up before the animation is shown. It is one slider, that's it. This works just fine for me. What is the duration of the Sequence Text behavior in the timeline? Here's what I have, and it works just fine. See if I have anything set different from you.

http://www.bbalser.com/video/CharacterOffset.mp4

Aug 28, 2015 11:45 PM in response to BenB

Hi Ben!

So what I' trying to achieve is this text effect seen in some spy movies or in Call of Duty where at the opening of a scene with a new location the name of the city and country let's say is displayed shortly at the bottom left. It's scrambled and decodes in a matter of a couple of seconds revealing the name just like you have it in your project. It's a very cool effect that is integrated into After Effects but is not readily available in FCPX. So this is the workaround. You've done everything right. I have basically the same thing. I really can't send you the non working file or folder because when I set my animation to character without spaces the title never renders out. Motion goes into a rendering loop and I have to force quit it because it doesn't want to do anything else.

My exact settings are as follows: Character offset at 50. Animation: character (without spaces). Spread: 10. Under Text menu for the text layer I have the font parameter set to fixed fonts so that the letters don't move while decoding. And that is all. But really, don't worry if you set it up like that and it still renders out for you. It might be that my MacBook does a glitch or my Motion. Either way I found a way to do it if I set the animation to character, which is ok. I'll just make sure not to leave spaces between the words for the effect. And that'll work because I have cities and countries in mind for the effect which I can separate with a comma. It's a neat effect tho 🙂

Problem publishing title template for fcpx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.