Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Eliminating duplicates from iPhoto

I have 14,000 photos on file and I am sure there must be more than a few duplicates. Surely there must be a way of EASILY eliminating them? Any suggestions would be GRATEFULLY welcomed ! Cheers … David

iPhoto '11

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 11:01 PM

Three tested, safe programs for iPhoto

iPhoto Library Manager

PhotoSweeper

Duplicate Annilhilator

LN

4 replies

Aug 28, 2015 2:17 AM in response to LarryHN

Greetings from Australia !

Thank you for your prompt response to my inquiry. It is very much appreciated. I shall explore your suggestions over the weekend.

Now that I am retired I am devoting more time to organizing & editing my photos and adding much needed details. Of course given

the size of the library and my technologicly challenged skills I'd say that any software which contributes in even the smallest way to

get me on the right track will be useful.

Cheers ...

David

Aug 28, 2015 9:53 AM in response to BareenaRoad

Just a note on the selection that Larry gave. If you purchase iPhoto Library Manager you will automatically get a license for the new PowerPhotos app which is the iPLM for the new Photos app that comes with Yosemite and El Capitan. iPLM, however, is the best all around iPhoto utility as it can do so much more than just find duplicates. IMO it's a must have tool if using iPhoto. Purchasing it at this time qualifies you for a license for PowerPhotos, the iPLM equivalent for the new Photos app. I've tested the following in a limited capacity, i.e some of the demos only allow searching a limited number of photos.

iPhoto Library Manager - $29.95

PhotoSweeper - $9.95 - This app can search by comparing the image's bitmaps or histograms thus finding duplicates with different file names and dates.

Duplicate Annihilator - $7.95 - only app able to detect duplicate thumbnail files or faces files when an iPhoto 8 or earlier library has been imported the library.

DeCloner - $19.95 - can find duplicates in iPhoto Libraries or in folders on the HD.

DupliFinder - $7 - shows which events the photos are in.

iPhoto AppleScript to Remove Duplicates - Free

PhotoDedupo - $4.99 (App Store) - this app has a "similar" search feature which is like PhotoSweeper's bitmap comparison. It found all duplicates

Duplicate Cleaner for iPhoto - free - was able to recognize the duplicated HDR and normal files from an iPhone shooting in HDR

Some users have reported that PhotoSweeper did the best in finding all of the dups in their library: iphoto has duplicated many photos, how...: Apple Support Communities.

If you have an iPhone and have it set to keep the normal photo when shooting HDR photos the two image files that are created will be duplicates in a manner of speaking (same image) but there are only twp apps that detected the iPhone HDR and normal photos as being duplicates: PhotoSweeper and Duplicate Cleaner for iPhoto. None of the other apps detected those two files as being duplicates as they look for file name as well as other attributes and the two files from the iPhone have different file names.

User uploaded file

Aug 28, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Old Toad

Greetings from 'Down-Under' ...

It's a cold wet 'winters' day down here with the wind coming off the polar ice cap so I am quite happy to be inside reviewing the material that both you and 'Larry' have provided.

Given my generation (the 1940's) my first encounter with a computer was when one was installed at the Sydney Opera House in 1975 to deal with the production of theatre tickets. That monster was as big as a compact car and was contained in its own airconditioned room surrounded by an army of 'keepers' to ensure it remained calm and cool at all times.

Now I sit here in front of this neat slim-lined iMac only to be overwhelmed by the access to the HUGE amount of information and computing power at my fingertips. Your generation may accept it so easily … I am still in awe of it all.

As well there seems to be an 'app' for just about everything these days. The shear genius of the people who write these scripts is most admirable.

My only concern for myself now is that I will become overloaded with information and, being a good 'Libran' will take too much time to decide which way to go. :-(

Be assured … I WILL push on !

Cheers ...

David

Eliminating duplicates from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.