Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my MacBook Pro take so long to turn on sometimes

On occasion it takes a very long time for my MacBook Pro 13 to turn on. Tonight for example, it took more the 5 minutes to turn on. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 7:00 PM

5 replies

Aug 27, 2015 11:14 PM in response to raja521

The MacBook goes into safe sleep after four hours to protect the work that you may have open when you put the computer to sleep.

I have found that I can avoid this by simply keeping an SD card plugged into the slot. Apple also says that connecting an external drive to the USB or firewire port will keep this from happening.

Five minutes is about the normal time it takes to be able to use the computer once it goes into this safe sleep.

Someone in another thread linked to an Apple support article that mentioned this was something to do with power nap but the mid 2012 13" MBP does not support power nap.

Aug 30, 2015 8:41 PM in response to raja521

Hi raja521,

Sometimes, it happens that Mac takes more time to start up than the user expectations. I suggest you to reset your NVRAM in order to reduce its turn on time.

In order to reset your NVRAM, perform the below mentioned steps:-

1. Shut down your MacBook Pro.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.

3. Turn on your Mac.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

6. Release the keys.

I hope, it will resolve your problem.

Why does my MacBook Pro take so long to turn on sometimes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.