Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding or subtracting to a total after a specific date under certain conditions

I'll try to put this as easy as I can. I'm in a football pool this season and I'd like to keep track of my totals in Numbers. I pick 5 games a week. If I get 1 pick correct, I get 1 point, 2 picks, 2 points, etc.

User uploaded file

However, if I get 5 picks correct, there is 1 bonus point added to 5.

User uploaded file

I've figured it out up to this point.

Here is where I'm having trouble. If I get zero picks correct for the week, I get a -1 for the week. Since none of the boxes will be checked before the week starts, I don't want it to start out with a total of -1. I want it to show 0. The first week is over on 9/14/15. How can I get my total to show -1 only after the week is over if I didn't get any picks correct? I hope this makes sense. I've been at this for almost an hour and I've gotten close, but can't seem to get it right.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 8:20 PM

You would need to add an If formula similar to this

IF(countif(correct, true)>0, countif(correct, true), -1)

this should take care of your problem. This will count all the True answers, your checks, if this number is greater than 0 then it will display that number, but if it is equal to 0, then it will give -1.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 8:20 PM in response to Kscheif1983

You would need to add an If formula similar to this

IF(countif(correct, true)>0, countif(correct, true), -1)

this should take care of your problem. This will count all the True answers, your checks, if this number is greater than 0 then it will display that number, but if it is equal to 0, then it will give -1.

Aug 27, 2015 9:42 PM in response to Kscheif1983

HI Kscheif,

Using your table as a guide, here is my formula for your tally cell. You may have to tweak the COUNTIF for the right cells.

IF(COUNTIF(C2:C6,TRUE())>4,COUNTIF(C2:C6,TRUE())+1,IF(COUNTIF(C2:C6,TRUE())>0,CO UNTIF(C2:C6,TRUE()),IF(TODAY()>H2,−1,0)))

H2 is my date cell.

This will show positive scores in real time, add +1 for 5 correct and subtract 1 if today is later than h2 and there are no correct.

quinn

Adding or subtracting to a total after a specific date under certain conditions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.