Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hard drive space

hi-

I have a new mac with OS X. I only have 6 GB of HD space left on my 120. I have 30GB of photos but don't really have anything else. I did search for files over certain sizes but didn't really find anything large. I do have the drive encrypted and I am not sure if that takes up space. I just switched over from PC so I have little mac knowledge. where is all my space?

thanks, j

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 6:37 PM

We don't have any idea where you disk space is. However, you may find some help here:

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks' Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

If you select About This Mac from the Apple menu in the top left corner of the menubar then you will see a dialog of information. There should be a button with Storage or Other Info on it. Then you may see a button for information on Storage that you can click on. That will bring up a visual the may look like this:

User uploaded file

It will give you a breakdown of several data categories and how much space is being used by each. This is only accurate if your drive has been very recently re-indexed by Spotlight.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 6:37 PM in response to SayLuv

We don't have any idea where you disk space is. However, you may find some help here:

Freeing Up Space on The Hard Drive

1. See Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks' Storage Display.

2. You can remove data from your Home folder except for the /Home/Library/ folder.

3. Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on freeing up space on your hard drive.

4. Also see Freeing space on your Mac OS X startup disk.

5. See Where did my Disk Space go?.

6. See The Storage Display.

You must Empty the Trash in order to recover the space they occupied on the hard drive.

You should consider replacing the drive with a larger one. Check out OWC for drives, tutorials, and toolkits.

Try using OmniDiskSweeper 1.8 or GrandPerspective to search your drive for large files and where they are located.

If you select About This Mac from the Apple menu in the top left corner of the menubar then you will see a dialog of information. There should be a button with Storage or Other Info on it. Then you may see a button for information on Storage that you can click on. That will bring up a visual the may look like this:

User uploaded file

It will give you a breakdown of several data categories and how much space is being used by each. This is only accurate if your drive has been very recently re-indexed by Spotlight.

hard drive space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.