Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyframing Question

I have a couple questions about keyframing and it not working like I was expecting.

I set a keyframe for a group's position at a particular frame. Then some frames later I set another keyframe and change the group's position. Instead of the group moving to the new position I get a red line connecting the two positions and when I step through the frames a white circle moves along the red line (presumably the group's origin handle) but the group's data (the shapes and stuff) doesn't move at all. What gives?

I have a Slit Tunnel behavior attached to a Caustics generator, and when I change the tunnel's Center the whole thing visually appears to rotate instead of just changing position. I just wanted to change the Slit Tunnel's center, not anything else.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 8:16 PM

6 replies

Aug 28, 2015 5:00 AM in response to chappa-ai

I'm testing this, and no issues here. Know that there are two center controls on-screen. If you have the Slit behavior selected in the Layers pane, then you're changing the center of the behavior in the frame, which is only the center of the effect, not where the content is physically located. If you have the Caustics or Group selected, you're chasing the physical position of the content. Can you provide a screen shot, or perhaps zip that project up and email it to me? My addy is in my profile.

Aug 28, 2015 6:33 AM in response to BenB

Here are two screen shots showing my first issue. In the first one you can see I've set a keyframe at frame 265 for the Nova parent group's position to be 0:0:

User uploaded file

Then at frame 314 I set another keyframe changing this group's position to 200:0:

User uploaded file

Except, at frame 314 (and all the frames in-between) the group is still visually at 0:0 instead of moving to the new position. There is a red dashed line showing the movement path, but the object doesn't visually move along that path. Even though the circle handle of the group's Position does move, the visual content of the group doesn't move. You can see the Nova replicator (colored black) is still centered in the content frame instead of shifted to the right.'

For the Slit Tunnel issue, I am changing the Center values under the Filters tab because it is the effect's center that I want to move. This does indeed change the effect's center, but when I do this then visually it also appears to be rotating because of the Caustics generator source. I think it's due to the how the generator's movement ends up interacting with changes to the Slit Tunnel's movement, but the "distortion" only occurs while the Slit Tunnel is moving - before and after the keyframes the tunnel looks "straight", but between the keyframes all the red "swirls" in the images above appear to rotate counter-clockwise even though no Rotation values are being changed. I could live with that, but it's not quite what I was going for with this.

The main thing to get working is the Nova group's position to change. Well, the Position does indeed change - the object's appearance in the frame doesn't change. No matter what I set its Position to, the Replicator still visually appears in the center of the frame.

Aug 28, 2015 4:34 PM in response to BenB

Nope, that's not it. I'm not moving it using any tool, that's just what was active when I took the screen shots. I went back and selected the group using the Select/Transform tool and still get the same results. Like I said, I'm not moving the group manually - I'm setting a keyframe and then adjusting the group's Position in the Inspector. Only, the group doesn't move!

Aug 29, 2015 12:46 PM in response to chappa-ai

I think the issue is with the replicator, or more specifically, a behavior that it is using.

If you turn off the Spin behavior (actually it seems to be the affect subjects parameter) and it will animate along with the Group.

In order to maintain the look of that replicator you could animate the angle of the replicator's cell either with a couple of KFs or use a ramp or rate behavior.

Aug 29, 2015 1:06 PM in response to schmackhaft

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. Unfortunately, the "This solved my question" link acts dead to me (does nothing) - but that's not near as annoying as having to log in to the support forums every time I wake my Mac back up, even with keeping this page open in Safari.

Is there a way to "ease in" a keyframe, so motion can be slower at one end of two keyframes rather than linear between them?

Keyframing Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.