Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The CPU isn't supported." Windows 10 Boot Camp Installation

The Get Windows 10 App reports that "The CPU isn't supported." when attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 in my Windows 7 Boot Camp installation.

After downloading the ISO from MS I was actually able to install Windows 10 with a clean install. But i was then unable to activate it. I was advised by MS that I had to go back to Windows 7 and upgrade from there. Thank God for WinClone!! What a lifesaver that program is for Mac users!

Anyhow, I have reinstalled Win 7 Pro SP1 from my backup and again I was faced with the Get Windows App telling me that I have incompatibilities. The first was that the VMWare SVGA 3D driver was incompatible. That was fixed by upgrading VMWare Fusion to 8 and updating the VMWare drivers for my Win 7 Boot Camp installation to Win 10 drivers.

Once that was fixed, I again tried to upgrade my Win 7 install but then was told "The CPU isn't supported."

Now I am stuck. Any help out there?

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 7:45 PM

1 reply

Aug 28, 2015 2:28 AM in response to perthyone

perthyone wrote:

The first was that the VMWare SVGA 3D driver was incompatible. That was fixed by upgrading VMWare Fusion to 8 and updating the VMWare drivers for my Win 7 Boot Camp installation to Win 10 drivers.

Are you trying to upgrade to Windows 10 when running your Bootcamp installation using VMware? If yes, please do not. You need to directly boot from Bootcamp, otherwise VMware's virtual layer will cause you more grief.

Once that was fixed, I again tried to upgrade my Win 7 install but then was told "The CPU isn't supported."

Now I am stuck. Any help out there?

Please switch to Windows Bootcamp, and not run the BC partition through VMware for the upgrade. You will also have problems with W10 activation if you pursue this method further.

What year/model is your Mac?

Have you checked Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support to ensure you meet the requirements?

"The CPU isn't supported." Windows 10 Boot Camp Installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.