Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to delete photos from iphone 6 without deleting from Mac

How can i delete photos from my iphone 6 without deleting from my mac book?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 8:18 PM

8 replies

Aug 27, 2015 8:39 PM in response to jo831

Are you running Yosemite on your Mac? Do you have iCloud Photo Library turned on on your Mac?

You need to provide us with the OS X you are running on your Mac, and the photos app you are using on your Mac (iPhoto or Photos), as well as whether or not you have iCloud Photo Library turned on.

How your have it all configured informs the answers/recommendations that you will be given.

Cheers,

GB

Aug 27, 2015 8:48 PM in response to jo831

Plug Your phone into your mac.

Open IPhoto

Select your device

User uploaded file

Click on the images you want to save to your Mac. (Skip this step if you want all images imported)

Click Import or import selected, depending on whether you want some or all photos imported.

User uploaded file

Select the Delete Option when asked if you would like to discard the Photo from your phone.

User uploaded file

All photos Imported this way will now be saved on your Mac, and No longer take up space on your iPhone.

Aug 27, 2015 10:55 PM in response to jo831

OK. So, with iCloud Photo Library, your photo library lives in iCloud. What you see in your Photos on your Mac is the same thing that you see in your Photos on your Phone because they are both "looking" at the same photos. If you delete a photo from the iCloud Photo Library, whether you do it via your Phone or your Mac, you are still making the deletion in the Library itself.

You can turn on Optimize Storage on your device which will enable automatic storage management on your device by iCloud Photo Library, or if you simply want to be able to control the photos that show on your phone, you can turn off iCoud Photo Library, which will allow you to delete photo on your phone without affecting the iCloud Photo Library at all.

Here are a couple of iCloud Photo Library support articles that may help:

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

iCloud Photo Library Help - Apple Support

Cheers,

GB

Aug 28, 2015 7:06 AM in response to gail from maine

Thank you, this is helpful. When I had iPhoto I was able to store photos on my mac book. I'd like to do that as well as the cloud. iPhoto was discontinued. Can I still store photos on my computer? I worry that if there is a problem with the cloud my photos go away. I'd like to keep them on my computer as well. How can I do that?

Aug 28, 2015 11:56 AM in response to jo831

From the FAQs article:

Do I need a Backup?

iCloud Photo Library stores all of your original photos and videos in iCloud, but we always recommend you keep back up copies of your Library. You can download your photos and videos from iCloud to your computer and store them as a separate library, transfer them to your computer with iTunes, or store them on a separate drive.

From the Help article:

To download your photos and videos on your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

I don't use iCloud Photo library, so I still import my photos to my Mac photos library by importing them from my phone, but it sounds like you would need to do the Download Originals step routinely since photos would be added to iCloud whenever you took new photos via one of your devices.

Cheers,

GB

Want to delete photos from iphone 6 without deleting from Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.