Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to revise the name of a linked document but TextEdit (or the browser?) is inserting Greek / foreign letters into the file name. Then the file will not open, because the corrupted name does not match the original.

Hi and help!

I am using old html code (maybe 6 years old) on a class website that I programmed "from scratch". The style is CSS (Cascade Style sheets) that help my website be "readable" for those with disabilities.

Every semester I revise the document names in the html code (such as the date on the course syllabus) and upload the current version before class starts.

(for example a document named: Chem1ASyllabusSpr14 revised to Chem1ASyllabusF15.

Since switching from a PC to an iMac laptop, and using the iMac TextEdit program, I am unable to successfully revise document names.

An example: <a href= “Fal15GradeTrackerV1.pdf"> grade tracker </a> is in the html code.

When I try to open the link on the homepage html file, in both Safari and Firefox browsers (I test the site before revisions are uploaded onto a server, so all of this occurs on my computer, the browsers are unable to locate the file name....and the file name printed on the screen has gone from

Fal15GradeTrackerV1 to “Fal15_Grade (the code was cut and pasted from the address bar). This is not the first time the code has been altered in this way. The alteration is always similar, although I am not sure if it is always identically these particular characters.

Another odd thing: When I tried using the code <!-- --> to create a comment in the html code, the computer did not seem to recognize the html. When opening the html document in a browser, the dashes were reduced to single dashes and so the characters showed up as part of the link. I noticed after a few tries, that the editor program was changing the characters from double to single dashes when I saved it.

My solution was to erase the new characters that I had just typed, and replace them with copied font from an older portion of the document, and this worked.

This made me wonder if the TextEdit doesn't recognize the font? I have not changed the font. I just looked up the font: "Menio" ? I've not heard of it. I looked up the font and the TextEdit "closed unexpectedly". I cannot post my revised documents with this going on.

Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

Siobhan

MacBook Pro, opersys OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 7:36 PM

There are no replies.

Trying to revise the name of a linked document but TextEdit (or the browser?) is inserting Greek / foreign letters into the file name. Then the file will not open, because the corrupted name does not match the original.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.