Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old photos showing up as new on iPhone when plugging into computer

In my continuing quest to figure out iCloud Photo Library, I have come up with yet another frustration. I just restored my phone as new due to another iCloud Photo Library issue. My photos have been finally behaving on my iPhone... until I just plugged it into my iMac. Photos app opened up and its telling that there are 59 "Already imported" photos and 4 "New Photos" (none of them are new, in fact they're years old). These are all photos that I only LOOKED at on my iPhone. In fact one of the new ones I hadn't even seen since turning on iCloud Photo Library. Very concerning. These pics are my most precious possessions and Im really getting concerned about all these issues after many trouble free years prior to the Photos App/iCloud Library combo.

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 8:53 PM

11 replies

Aug 28, 2015 3:58 AM in response to Frozo

I've read a couple of your posts. You appear to have multiple problems and I'm wondering if they aren't being caused by not allowing enough time for things to finish before trying to change them. For example an initial sync to iCloud photo library can take days or weeks, let it finish before trying to start moving things around or removing them again.

In respect of the particular problem discussed in this thread, you aren't supposed to be importing photos over USB any more if you are running iCloud photo library, I wouldn't take too much notice of what's reported if you try. Don't start trying to import by USB, you'll have duplicates everywhere.

Aug 28, 2015 8:03 AM in response to Winston Churchill

RIght, but how do I know when its finished? It certainly looks finished. I see everything on my iPhone now and the duplicate situation is gone after I set up my iPhone as new. When I go to Settings/iCloud/Photos/ there is never a progress bar anymore. It just says "Last updated" yesterday. The progress bar has also stopped on the Photos app on my iMac, which has been the case for days now. Unless youre implying that the software doesn't correctly state when it's finished (which seems like it may be the case from the first experience I was having).

I am able to edit files on my phone and see the changes immediately reflected on my Mac, as it should work. Occasionally, Ill get a "Cannot Download Photo: There was an error downloading this photo from your iCloud Photo Library. Please try again later" error, but I just say OK and then it works anyway. Seems likes its trying to edit it before the download is finished maybe (I think this is an issue with the current software though).

I should say, everything is mostly working fine now... except for this new issue. I dont have Photo Stream turned on, so my new photos dont automatically get sent to the cloud. I dont necessarily want them to either. I haven't synced with Mac because of the reason you say, I want to avoid duplicates.

These "new" images that are not clearing off on my phone are really bothering me though because I feel like it's symptomatic of a greater issue with the iCloud Photo Library environment.

Aug 28, 2015 8:08 AM in response to Frozo

I dont have Photo Stream turned on, so my new photos dont automatically get sent to the cloud.

You don't need photo stream on to send photos to the cloud, photos are sent to the cloud using iCloud photo library. You only need to use photo stream if you don't use iCloud photo library or have an Apple TV.

Exactly what do you have turned on on your phone and on your Mac.

Aug 28, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Photos app on Mac:

iCloud Photo Library checked ON

Download Originals to this Mac ON (Optimize Mac Storage OFF)

My Photo Stram OFF

iCloud Photo Sharing ON

iPhone iCloud settings:

iCloud Photo Library ON

Optimize iPhone Storage ON (Download and Keep Originals OFF)

Upload to My Photo Stream OFF

iCloud Photo Sharing ON

You don't need photo stream on to send photos to the cloud, photos are sent to the cloud using iCloud photo library.

Then why show the option when iCloud is turned on? In fact, if I have this setting OFF, the pictures I take do not automatically sync to my Mac. A manual sync is needed to get it from my iPhone to my Mac. My Photo Stream option is there for a reason and I dont necessarily want every photo I take to be distributed to all my devices--that's why the option is there.

Aug 28, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Frozo

Then why show the option when iCloud is turned on?

So you can choose whether to use photo stream with it or not.

In fact, if I have this setting OFF, the pictures I take do not automatically sync to my Mac.

Then something isn't working properly.

A manual sync is needed to get it from my iPhone to my Mac.

It shouldn't be.

My Photo Stream option is there for a reason and I don't necessarily want every photo I take to be distributed to all my devices--that's why the option is there.

The photo stream option is there in case you don't want to use iCloud photo library or you have an Apple TV.

Aug 28, 2015 10:02 AM in response to Winston Churchill

With all due respect, Id like you to try this test yourself. Turn off My Photo Stream on your iPhone and take a photo with your iPhone. Without plugging in your iPhone, open your Photos app and see if it shows up. It will not, because that is why you have the option to turn OFF My Photo Stream when still using iCloud Photo Library.

The photo stream option is there in case you don't want to use iCloud photo library or you have an Apple TV.

My Photo Stream is ALSO for people using iCloud Photo Library who do not want all their photos being automatically distributed to all of their devices. It is for people who want the benefits of iCloud Photo Library but would like more control, manually, what goes into the cloud and their devices.

Here's the scenario. I take a photo with my iPhone of a gift Id like to surprise my wife so I can email it to my friend. I use iCloud Photo Library because I LIKE the benefit of having all of the photos on my Mac being on all my devices, and being able to edit them from anywhere.

I do NOT like the fact that with My Photo Stream turned on, that the picture I just took will be seen by my wife who uses the family iPad. So this is why I turn it off and choose to decide manually what gets uploaded, through a wire, to my master Photos app on my Mac. It was designed to work this way of you want it to.

Please, do my test I asked you to try and I'll be curious to see what you find.

Thanks.

Aug 28, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Frozo

With all due respect, Id like you to try this test yourself. Turn off My Photo Stream on your iPhone and take a photo with your iPhone. Without plugging in your iPhone, open your Photos app and see if it shows up. It will not, because that is why you have the option to turn OFF My Photo Stream option to turn OFF when still using iCloud Photo Library.

I did turn it off, I then took a screenshot of it in the off position, then I took a screenshot in the Photos App on my Mac after it had synced by iCloud photo library.

User uploaded file

My Photo Stream is ALSO for people using iCloud Photo Library who do not want all their photos being automatically distributed to all of their devices. It is for people who want the benefits of iCloud Photo Library but would like more control, manually, what goes into the cloud and their devices.

No it's not, it just seems that way to you because yours isn't working properly.

I do NOT like the fact that with My Photo Stream turned on, that the picture I just took will be seen by my wife who uses the family iPad.

There is no such thing as a family iPad, iPads cannot have multiple user accounts, if you don't want your pictures to be seen by your wife, turn of iCloud photo library AND photo stream on the iPad or buy her her own iPad.

Aug 28, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Winston Churchill

No it's not, it just seems that way to you because yours isn't working properly.

OK, so unlike when I edit a photo on iPhone I can watch it automatically refresh on my Mac, the new photos I take on my iPhone will only refresh when restart the Photos app on my Mac. So, you, I see you're right that even without My Photo Stream, it imports this way. I dont totally understand it, there should be an option to not upload everywhere, but I see there is not.

So, that still doesn't change that I have these old "new" photos showing up, but Since they're not that many, Ill sync manually and then delete them to get it cleared out. Maybe it was a one time problem when I was getting this all sorted out.

Aug 28, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Frozo

Frozo wrote:

.... I don't totally understand it, there should be an option to not upload everywhere, but I see there is not....

If you mean an option to upload to the cloud but not have it sync to other devices, there isn't such an option ,nor has there ever been one.

So, that still doesn't change that I have these old "new" photos showing up, but Since they're not that many, Ill sync manually and then delete them to get it cleared out. Maybe it was a one time problem when I was getting this all sorted out.

It's hard to say what they are, but I'll have a guess that if you import them, you'll get duplicates. (I have a hunch they may be photos that have been edited somewhere but then edit hasn't synced to other devices.

Aug 28, 2015 11:11 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Yeah, Im sure they'll dupe. Not that many, I can delete and hope that it clears out the glitch in the future. I am 100% sure that I never edited these though. I remember specifically just looking at them yesterday when testing to see if everything was working. There were a small few that are also there but I didnt even look at too though. Im going to chalk it up to fussing with it before it was done syncing (even though I still have no idea to tell when its done because the progress bar will go away and say updated).

If you mean an option to upload to the cloud but not have it sync to other devices, there isn't such an option ,nor has there ever been one.

I mean there should be an option to manually upload what I want through a wire and have the Mac serve our to the devices. Thats what I thought turning off My Photo Stream would/should do. The main thing is that I take so many meaningless screen grabs for reminders, quick funny snaps of the telly to message someone, etc.--all things I dont want to keep in the long run, but also dont need them cluttering up all my other devices.

Thanks.

Aug 28, 2015 11:16 AM in response to Frozo

The main thing is that I take so many meaningless screen grabs for reminders, quick funny snaps of the telly to message someone, etc.--all things I dont want to keep in the long run, but also dont need them cluttering up all my other devices.

I do pretty much the same thing, but i look at it this way, whenever I have a spare moment, it doesn't matter which device I have with me, i can tidy up my photos and know that they'll be equally as tidy everywhere.

Old photos showing up as new on iPhone when plugging into computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.