Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn on or off plugin within the main stage 3 when marker in playback occurs?

How to turn on or off plugin within the main stage 3 when marker in playback occurs?

For ex. I need to add vocal delay on chorus etc...

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 2:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2015 7:03 AM

This is a glaring omission from Mainstage's feature set, and I've sent them feedback about it a few times now. The work around is to setup Logic as a "sequencer" to your Mainstage project. This is the quick and dirty:
1) Turn on the IAC Bus in "Audio MIDI Setup", and then enable rewire support in both Logic and Mainstage.

2) Create an external MIDI track in Logic, and make the output port your IAC bus.

3) Make sure that the Logic project has the same tempo and marker set as the Playback File. (I just use the same logic project that I make the playback track from.)

4) On the IAC bus Logic track, use the Event List editor to enter whatever Program Change, CC, Notes, or other MIDI messages that you want to trigger in mainstage at the appropriate point in the song.

5) In Mainstage, create a new MIDI input device that listens to the IAC bus.

6) Using the assignments and mappings window, in each patch or set that you want changes to occur, route the Program Change, CC, Notes or other MIDI messages from step 4 to do whatever actions you want.

If you'd like the more detailed explaination, I just made a video on this very topic recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGwlp1hpl_k

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2015 7:03 AM in response to RockNRollMan

This is a glaring omission from Mainstage's feature set, and I've sent them feedback about it a few times now. The work around is to setup Logic as a "sequencer" to your Mainstage project. This is the quick and dirty:
1) Turn on the IAC Bus in "Audio MIDI Setup", and then enable rewire support in both Logic and Mainstage.

2) Create an external MIDI track in Logic, and make the output port your IAC bus.

3) Make sure that the Logic project has the same tempo and marker set as the Playback File. (I just use the same logic project that I make the playback track from.)

4) On the IAC bus Logic track, use the Event List editor to enter whatever Program Change, CC, Notes, or other MIDI messages that you want to trigger in mainstage at the appropriate point in the song.

5) In Mainstage, create a new MIDI input device that listens to the IAC bus.

6) Using the assignments and mappings window, in each patch or set that you want changes to occur, route the Program Change, CC, Notes or other MIDI messages from step 4 to do whatever actions you want.

If you'd like the more detailed explaination, I just made a video on this very topic recently. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGwlp1hpl_k

Aug 29, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Authentic Identity

THank you very much! but for my taste is better to use qlab3 same way. Because using logic for that is not making sense. You can use only logic without mainstage. And it s really hard to switch fast between songs when u re performing live In logic. I thought may be i dont know something. But according to you its really impossible. Thank you!

Aug 29, 2015 7:29 AM in response to RockNRollMan

Well, I actually tried both methods (i.e. using only Logic, or using Mainstage being triggered by Logic.
Logic only has a few downsides:

1) Having to make sure that the appropriate tracks were "Record Armed" everytime when you open the next song for all of the vocals and guitars you want to use.

2) I was using a screenset with a floating Marker Editor window that had the lyrics that changed with each section of the song, but it won't save the window's state in the screenset. It always defaults the two panes to a large marker list, with small lyrics window.

You have to drag the pane divider each time you open the project to see all of the lyrics.

3) Clearly Labeled screen controls. The mixer window is too small and cluttered. The environment won't let you edit the size of the text labels (as far as I know), and I was having trouble getting it to associate correctly with the tracks that I wanted to adjust.

4) No loopback plugin in Logic for real-time sound on sound type stuff.

When I use both Logic and Mainstage, I only use Logic to send MIDI data and be a time keeper. No audio is coming from Logic. So mainstage still handles all of the patches and plugins. You don't even have to see Logic. It's just open in the background, and starts playing when I send my play command.

For project switching live, what I do is create a small Applescript that opens each Logic project, and then set one of my foot controllers to trigger the script on each new set.
For more on that, see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg8E9CRPQRg

It only takes about 5-10 seconds for the whole process to complete (depending on your computer.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.