Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos on iPhoto are ruined and are cut in half, how can I fix it?

I recently updated my entire macbook, which is very common for macbook users. Anyways, I was looking through my photos in the iPhoto app and saw that a lot of my photos were ruined and cut in half in all directions. The photos show only half of the image. At first I thought it was a one time thing so I logged off and logged back on, I even restarted the computer and updated the macbook again. It didn't change at all. I have not a single clue what is the cause of this. I've never had a virus on my macbook before so I don't know if it is a virus or not. Nothing out of the ordinary happened other than the fact that my photos are ruined. I've owned my macbook for just over two years... I've also tried to rebuild my iPhoto library but nothing has changed as well...

About My Mac:

OS X Yosemite

Version 10.10.5

Macbook Pro (13inch, mid 2012)

Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

203.04 GB free of 748.93 GB

I have no idea how to fix my pictures, somebody please help me. Any information, advice and tips would be very much appreciated as I'm sort of panicking since I don't have a back up of any of my photos.User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 9:33 PM

5 replies

Aug 27, 2015 11:59 PM in response to jojoray

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In early versions of Library Manager it's the File -> Rebuild command. In later versions it's under the Library menu.)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Aug 29, 2015 8:37 PM in response to jojoray

Unfortunately it didn't work. I tried all the options you listed TD. I used alt+command and repaired but it failed so I did rebuild as well. When that didn't work I downloaded iPhoto Library Manager, that too didn't work. I even tried it several times but nothing has changed. Thank you for trying to help. I still have no idea what caused all this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

My photos on iPhoto are ruined and are cut in half, how can I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.