Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facetime not working in OS X

I have OS X and just downloaded Facetime. When I enter my apple id I get a red message that the registering device does not have the proper credentials. I saw earlier posts about going to Settings and then Network. I cannot find "Settings" to even get started. If someone has the patience for an old lady to walk me through this I'd appreciate it.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 11:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 11:30 AM

Unfortunatelly I can't help : I have exactly the same issue.
I must precise : when I tried facetime this morning, everything was OK.
Then, I call somebody, and it turn in the exact situation you describe. (the registering device does not have the proper credentials.)
I checked the password etc. Without an effect.

IMac 27 Mac OsX 10.6.8

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2015 11:30 AM in response to NibbsQuilly

Unfortunatelly I can't help : I have exactly the same issue.
I must precise : when I tried facetime this morning, everything was OK.
Then, I call somebody, and it turn in the exact situation you describe. (the registering device does not have the proper credentials.)
I checked the password etc. Without an effect.

IMac 27 Mac OsX 10.6.8

Aug 31, 2015 4:42 PM in response to NibbsQuilly

I have the same problem on Snow Leopard. On my other Mac running Mountain Lion I get "The server encountered an error processing registration". Both problems started at the same time. I have verified that I have the correct time, no firewall, latest patches and updates. I have tried it with two Apple IDs. I have tried it from two networks (AT&T and T-Mobile).

Aug 31, 2015 5:53 PM in response to NibbsQuilly

I finally got it working on Mountain Lion. I had to create a new non-admin account, and log in to Facetime on it. Once I'd done that successfully I was able to log in on my regular account.

Apple, please add a "stupid mode" to your computers. It's the opposite of "smart software" and "wizards". In "stupid mode" the software tells you in detail what the problem is, even if it doesn't know how to fix it, in the hope that the user will be smarter than a computer.

(my rant about stupid software is here: http://scarydevil.com/~peter/io/stupidsoftware.html)

Anyway, this is the end of the line for Snow Leopard for me. I'm going to upgrade my laptop (and finally kiss my Power PC apps goodbye) as soon as replacement drive comes in.

Facetime not working in OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.