Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Must songs be purchased at iTunes to use homes sharing?

What of collections, meticulously recorded and converted into files that otherwise do play on iTunes, but questionably on home sharing? Must songs be purchased at iTunes to use homes sharing?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 8 gigabytes ram, tetrabyte storage

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 8:39 AM

No, you can use home sharing to stream music from other sources (copied from CDs, bought from other sites) to your other computers / iOS devices - they just need to be in the computer's iTunes library that you want to share from, home sharing needs to be enabled via the same account on the computers/devices, and the computers/devices need to be connected to the same wifi network.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2015 8:39 AM in response to burlives

No, you can use home sharing to stream music from other sources (copied from CDs, bought from other sites) to your other computers / iOS devices - they just need to be in the computer's iTunes library that you want to share from, home sharing needs to be enabled via the same account on the computers/devices, and the computers/devices need to be connected to the same wifi network.

Nov 14, 2015 12:23 AM in response to King_Penguin

Somewhat later. I still haven't used homesharing, of course a detriment to learning.

To access my CDs I have to add a disc drive. Just surprised on finding a disc drive

removed from iMac (2013) and I have been a hold out. Can't imagine what developed

in order to replace that function.

Sensing discontent, sales offered a disc drive at half price, reneging the next day.

However, my responsibility in tying loose ends is regrettably short on foresight.

Should have be obvious to me to go with the flow or back to the CD option on an

dated stereo. I appreciate your sorting out and responding to (what seemed to me) an issue

with progress.

The usual answer is, 'to make iMac look sexy', which is a runaround. More to do with

crimping trades between friends or whatnot. The update was a surprise, and only the

result of a theft. I'd have kept 10.4 and wait until ready for purchasing anew.

Must songs be purchased at iTunes to use homes sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.