Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All of my Purchased Music Files Gone From My Hard Drive

All of my iTunes purchased music files has disappeared from my hard drive. I have traditionally moved all of my music out of the iTunes 'Music' folder to a 'Purchased Music' folder of my own to keep things organised. All of the folders are now empty and the respective iTunes library entries for each album now appears in the library with a cloud symbol.

I do not want my music in the cloud! I want my purchased music on my hard drive.

I cannot possibly be expected to download all of this music again...thousands of files. Any suggestions as to an alternative solution greatly appreciated.

Apple, you have made an almighty mess of iTunes this time!

OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 3:06 AM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2015 6:28 AM in response to JohnnyHP

If you really want to do things that way you have to disable iTunes' "copy files to folder" and "organize" preferences settings and take on media organization completely yourself. This has additional repercussions such as making it difficult to relocate media to another drive, and certain of iTunes features such as automatic repairing of broken links will no longer work. I also don't know how it will affect things such as Apple Music service and utilizing the iCloud interface. Somebody doing this is probably at an advanced enough computer level so they also know how to routinely make backups of their entire system because you are fighting iTunes's way of doing things. You also need to know exactly how iTunes operates and even then it will do things you do not always understand why. As iTunes becomes more and more complicated so too is it easier to break some process and result in the unexpected.

All of my Purchased Music Files Gone From My Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.