Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Clips Disappeared from Event & Library

I imported clips to an existing Library and Event, notification confirmed import successful, I skimmed through my clips and all looked OK. I was briefly distracted and when I turned back to the monitor all video clips from the Library and Event had disappeared. I checked the Library Package Contents and the Event Folder and it's sub-folders of "Original Media," "Render Files," and "Transcoded Media" are still intact.

How do I get the "Original Media" files back into the Library?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 5:34 AM

12 replies

Aug 28, 2015 7:44 AM in response to hadleyk

Since we weren't looking over your shoulder while you weren't watching your screen, hard to tell.

First, don't erase your media files from your camera cards!

Second, search your drives for all files created within the time frame you were importing. Chances are very good you just put them in the wrong place.

Third, make a backup copy of your cards to your drives, following the instructions in the FCPX Help system, and, if you cannot find your files anywhere else, re-import your video clips from the backups.

Fourth, report back on what you've tried.

Aug 28, 2015 8:34 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Thanks for the feedback and your patience.

1. Once the import was "successfully completed" I deleted the media card, as everything looked OK.

2. There don't appear to be any other files other than those created within the FCP Library Package of the Library and Event the files were imported to.

3. Didn't get as far as creating backups and the backup created by FCP doesn't work because I suspect it never completed the task.

4. I understand it's not possible to determine the problem, but it would seem that as the "original media" is still in the FCP Folder System i.e Select Final Cut Libraries/Library Name - Right Click on Library - Show Package Contents - Original Media - all I need to do is get the actual media files back into the Library and Event but I don't know how to do this. I tried to reimport them but this didn't work and made the machine crash.

How do I proceed with the existing video clips which are now all .mov files?

Aug 28, 2015 9:16 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

The Library and Event still appear under Libraries the media Location is identified as being on my G-Raid External Drive.

The original media files were GoPro MP4 that were already in the Library before I imported todays Sony AVCHD Files. I notice that the Files in the "Original Media" Folder are .mov and I thought that might be why I couldn't re-import them into FCP.

There are no backups there is only the "Original Media" files to work with.

I tried re-launching the application using Option & Command Keys this produced a Delete Preferences in FCP window, on following this through nothing changed.

This is a screen shot.

Many thanks for answering

User uploaded file

Aug 28, 2015 10:31 AM in response to hadleyk

hadleyk wrote:

Thanks for the feedback and your patience.

1. Once the import was "successfully completed" I deleted the media card, as everything looked OK.

2. There don't appear to be any other files other than those created within the FCP Library Package of the Library and Event the files were imported to.

3. Didn't get as far as creating backups and the backup created by FCP doesn't work because I suspect it never completed the task.

4. I understand it's not possible to determine the problem, but it would seem that as the "original media" is still in the FCP Folder System i.e Select Final Cut Libraries/Library Name - Right Click on Library - Show Package Contents - Original Media - all I need to do is get the actual media files back into the Library and Event but I don't know how to do this. I tried to reimport them but this didn't work and made the machine crash.

How do I proceed with the existing video clips which are now all .mov files?

1. Ouch. Never reformat camera cards till you know for absolutely certain your media is safe. Hard lesson. However, you can buy data recovery software that will rebuild the directory of your card as along as you have not recorded over it. Take many hours.

2. That's just not likely so, to be blunt, you had to have misunderstood the statement FCPX handed up to you claiming the import was successful. Successful is not the same as complete. Sorry I do not have a better answer. File transfers and transcodes can be set to be automatic but the actions are not foolproof. Double check everything before deleting or reformatting anything. Next time, eh?

3. Backing up your media cards is what you do first, before you import your footage. FCPX backups should be automatic.

4. Can you play any of these .mov files with another application? Try making g a duplicate of one of the files and moving it out of the Library. (Sorry, don't even know if that will work, never tried it.)

Wolsky is the expert on this stuff but he's not sitting beside you and he's got a day job. You'll need patience and time for his assistance.

Aug 28, 2015 10:42 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

All the .mov files can open and play with Quick Time Player, I tried copying the file to the desk top then re-importing but that didn't work. I did read elsewhere that .mov files need to be converted to Pro Res 244 but I don't know if this is correct so have not tried as I'm not sure hoe to do this and which would be the best app required.

Appreciate your assistance and happy to learn, hard lessons acknowledged.

Aug 28, 2015 2:05 PM in response to hadleyk

You can't reimport into the existing event. It's corrupted. If you moved all the clips out of original media, then you can reimport into a new event.

What are the exact specs of the media you're working with? It should be ok, but it's always good to know. What camera did it come from?

Make a new event in the library. Trash the event that's there that has no icon. Import into the new event.

Aug 28, 2015 2:19 PM in response to hadleyk

hadleyk wrote:

I did read elsewhere that .mov files need to be converted to Pro Res 244 but I don't know if this is correct so have not tried as I'm not sure hoe to do this and which would be the best app required.

It's not a requirement that ht clips be transcoded. But if you want to you can usually transcode in the Finder. Right click>Encode Selected Video Files>Setting>Apple Pro Res.

Russ

Aug 29, 2015 1:16 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom

This worked this time. I tried it yesterday but the machine crashed. This morning I took out some the new memory and replaced it with the old then followed your guidance and it worked albeit slowly. I have now ordered more memory from Apple. (Not related but may perhaps may have contributed to the crash) All appears to be working again.

Video Clips Disappeared from Event & Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.