Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Timing bullets to narration

Hi Everyone,

I'm using Keynote 6.5.2 on Yosemite 10.10.2.

What is the easiest way to time the bullets on a slide to the background narration on that same slide?

Currently I'm using builds for the bullets then adjusting the delay in the Build Order screen but it seems that this can be very time consuming and I'm hoping that there may be a faster way. For example, if I have a paragraph of narration I have to listen to it multiple times in order to tweak the timing for each bullet and it's driving me a little battie. :-) P.S. I'm a former PowerPoint user so I'm loving Keynote.

Thanks very much.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 6:50 AM

1 reply

Aug 29, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Glass Half Empty

What is the easiest way to time the bullets on a slide to the background narration on that same slide?

Option 1 manual advance

The "easiest" way is to use manual advance as there is no set up required

Option 2 if you want complete automation

Create an automated advance using Record Slideshow, however this creates an automated advance on every slide:

1. click the Record button in: Inspector > Document > Audio
  2. click the red record button; bottom left of screen
  3. after the countdown, press the spacebar each time you want to display the next bullet
  4. press the record button when completed
  5. you should switch off or disconnect any mics attached to the Mac to stop recording ambient sound.

Option 3 if you need manual advance of other slides

Export a separate QuickTime video of the slides containing the builds and narration that use record slideshow, described in option 2.

Import the QT files into a new presentation and then add the remaining slides that require manual advance.

Timing bullets to narration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.