Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music and Podcasts apps crashing in iOS 8.4.1, Apple Music no longer working.

I have been having nothing but problems with my iPhone 6 since upgrading to iOS 8.4.1.

The Music app now crashes regularly. Most often it's when I'm listening to music and the phone goes to sleep. When I press the Home button the lock screen comes up, but the buttons aren't responsive. I can't play/pause, etc. If I unlock the phone, the Music app comes up, but is completely unresponsive, then after, say, 10 seconds it crashes and I'm back to the Home screen.

It is exactly the same with the Podcasts app. If I've been listening to a podcast for, say, 10 minutes, after the crash it doesn't remember where I was up to and starts the podcast again from the start. I also can't download any podcasts anymore. I click on the download icon on a podcast I'm subscribed to, the icon changes to the 'circle pause' icon, but nothing happens.

Also, I can no longer use Apple Music. Whenever I try to stream something from Apple Music, I get the sign-up screen telling me to start a subscription. I have logged into my account, and I am still on the free trial and my subscription is still active.

Everything was working perfectly before 8.4.1.

I just tried a full restore, downloading the full 2GB iOS install, but it is exactly the same.

Anyone else experiencing this? I can't find much when googling around.

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 5:34 AM

11 replies

Aug 29, 2015 6:08 AM in response to Apostropher Royal

Same here. I first noticed it with Podcast, and later with Music. Everything you described—the controls not functioning on lock screen, the app freezing and crashing when returning from lock screen, the failure to dowload new podcasts—I've experienced since updating the OS. Apple Music has been the biggest pain with the random login requests and the failure to sync existing music to my iPhone 6 as well as failing to complete my download requests (make available offline) I'm so frustrated at this point that I'm read to go back to Spotify and find a new pod-catcher. Really can't believe I'm experiencing this with Apple products, especially with an app they made such a fuss about 😟

Aug 29, 2015 9:11 PM in response to Apostropher Royal

Hi everyone. So, doing the restore to factory settings didn't fix things, but I just did a hard reset (holding down Home and Power until the Apple logo appears) and now everything seems to be back to normal!

I did try a hard reset *before* doing the restore and it didn't fix things, and the restore by itself definitely didn't fix things, so maybe the solution is a restore and then a hard reset?

Anyway, that worked for me. Hopefully it might work for you as well?

Aug 29, 2015 10:57 PM in response to Apostropher Royal

Uh oh. Looks like I spoke too soon. Apple Music has stopped working again. I'm getting the 'Come Play with Us' screen now whenever I try and stream something from Apple Music.

Possibly unrelated, but I've just noticed something else that's weird. I bought an album from iTunes years ago called Howlin' For Judy by Jeremy Steig. I have it on my iPhone and I've never had any problems playing it. But today I noticed that if I tap on track 6 (of 7) it won 't play. Every other track does play, no problems. When I tap on track 6 and the little EQ meter symbol starts going up and down, but it doesn't start playing, then after 30 seconds the Apple Music sign-up screen appears and track 7 starts playing.

I wondered if maybe the file on my iPhone had got corrupted, so I found the album in Apple Music and tried to stream track 6, but it won't play there either! The other tracks will stream though! It's only track 6 that's the problem.

So I tried playing it on my iMac, and it's fine.

I don't know what that means, but it's weird. And annoying. Maybe these are all Apple Music teething problems?

Aug 30, 2015 2:58 PM in response to Apostropher Royal

Ok, so another hard reset and Apple Music is fine again. Sigh.

After the last hard reset I noticed that track 6 of the Steig album had lost the little 'iPhone in triangle' symbol that all songs have now. When I tapped it, I now got the pop-up message, "Looks like this is not available anymore". Very helpful. So in iTunes I created a new AAC version of the track and resynced my iPhone, and not only did the new version work, the old version now worked too! Not sure what was different. I haven't unsynced that album or bought it or whatever, so I can't explain why that one track dropped off. Anyway, for the moment, I'm good again.

Good luck everyone else.

Music and Podcasts apps crashing in iOS 8.4.1, Apple Music no longer working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.