Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no program chosen to open the URL, safari

Help!

When I am trying to open Safari the following text appears: there is no program to open the URL (x-fs-bp-query:///safari-extension%3A//com.f-secure.browsing-protection-6KALSAFZJ C//fd12g1b1/&b=safari.) F-Secure is a program I used for a trial protecting my Mac from virus. This is stoppning me from using Safari, van anyone help me to find a solution?

Best Regards,

Helen

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 5:16 AM

6 replies

Aug 29, 2015 6:25 AM in response to Yrisah

It sounds like Safari is trying to load a custom URL that, I presume, would have been opened by F-Secure, and it sounds like you have removed F-Secure at this point.

After dismissing this message (by pressing the Cancel button), go to Safari's preferences, click the General icon, and make sure that the Homepage is set to what you want it to be set to. Close all tabs and windows in Safari, and then open a new window and proceed with your web browsing normally.

If the message keeps appearing after you have done that, let us know.

Dec 3, 2016 12:54 AM in response to Yrisah

Hi!

I have this problem too and tried now to re-set the starting page in preferences. I also recently removed F-secure as it kept asking me to buy a new license which I won't do at the moment, so the message dialog box was rather annoying. I seldom use safari but need it now to access some specific platforms. But now, no address seems to work. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks!

/Linda

Dec 3, 2016 6:22 AM in response to lindaoe

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

There is no program chosen to open the URL, safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.